Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » ETL Transformations: Types Not Found(When perfoming transformations on UML Sequence Diagrams, the program does not recognize the types present in the UML metamodel)
ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847108] Thu, 14 October 2021 22:33 Go to next message
Miguel Fernandes is currently offline Miguel FernandesFriend
Hello!

I'm trying to transform Sequence Diagrams (UML models) into another kind of model (a xmi representation of Colored Petri Nets) using ETL, from a Java application (via the org.eclipse.epsilon libraries)

I have this problem when trying to transform the models using ETL, where the object types (e.g. uml!Lifeline or cpn!Place) are not recognized, as in "type ... not found". I have the ecore metamodel for both UML and the CPNs.

This happens, I would say, because the program, when running the ETL file, does not find the metamodel or does not access it correctly. But I cannot figure out why.

This is how I load the models:

EmfModel modelcpn = new EmfModel();
modelcpn.setModelFile("src/cpnModel.model");
modelcpn.setMetamodelFile("src/cpnmeta.ecore");
modelcpn.load();

I have tried to create a minimal example, which I have attached to this post, and which also includes the libraries that I'm using.

Thank you in advance for your help
Best regards

Miguel
  • Attachment: MinEx.zip
    (Size: 6.29MB, Downloaded 90 times)
Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847109 is a reply to message #1847108] Thu, 14 October 2021 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi Miguel,

You need to give your models the names you use to refer to them in your transformation i.e.

modelcpn.setName("cpnmeta");
modeluml.setName("uml");

Best,
Dimitris
Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847111 is a reply to message #1847109] Thu, 14 October 2021 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It solved the problem!

Thank you very much
Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847112 is a reply to message #1847111] Thu, 14 October 2021 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I'm glad to hear that - you're welcome!
Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847188 is a reply to message #1847112] Mon, 18 October 2021 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello (again) Dimitris!

With the solution you promptly provided, I managed to finally test my ETL, which (as I expected) had some mistakes, as well as things missing.

I managed to remove these problems from the ETL code, but still my output model (.model) turns out to be empty. This is strange because when I print the variables that I create in my target model (from the ETL code), the target model elements seem to be there.

I attached a revised version of the Minimal Example I previously sent, which also includes in the code some prints to the console, in order to show that the model elements are actually being created in the ETL code.

I was hoping you could help me with this issue.
Again, I thank you for your help and availability.
Best regards.

Miguel
  • Attachment: MinEx.zip
    (Size: 6.29MB, Downloaded 99 times)
Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847201 is a reply to message #1847188] Tue, 19 October 2021 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Miguel,

You should configure cpnmodel so that its existing contents are discarded and it is stored when the transformation is complete as follows.

modelcpn.setReadOnLoad(false);
modelcpn.setStoredOnDisposal(true);

Also, after module2.execute() you should call modelcpn.dispose() to save the model (or module2.getContext().getModelRepository().dispose() to dispose/save any models that are configured to be saved).

I've also updated https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/articles/run-epsilon-from-java/#loading-models accordingly for the benefit of other users in the future.

Thanks,
Dimitris

[Updated on: Tue, 19 October 2021 10:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: ETL Transformations: Types Not Found [message #1847220 is a reply to message #1847201] Tue, 19 October 2021 16:06 Go to previous message
Hello Dimitris,

It did the trick!
The .model xmi CPN was generated!

Thank you very much for all the help!
Best regards.

Miguel
Previous Topic:Xtext Graphical View
Next Topic:Ecore/EVL check component is instantiated
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:27:03 GMT 2024