Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Xtext integration with GMF
Xtext integration with GMF [message #1838411] Wed, 24 February 2021 13:47 Go to next message
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi all,

I am currently working on an example where I want to create an integration between XText and GMF, so that I can interact with a model both via graphical and textual editors.

From what I have seen so far, the XText documentation provides something related to that, but it is not detailed enough, and furthermore, the changes are committed upon saving the file.

However, what I want is to be able to have real time synchronization, meaning that the synchronization mechanisms should be on the fly, and not on demand (upon saving from the user).

Would this approach requires model transformations, and if so does anyone in the Epsilon community have any experience with that?

Thank you in advance!
Re: Xtext integration with GMF [message #1838412 is a reply to message #1838411] Wed, 24 February 2021 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

Hi,

On-the-fly synchronisation sounds like a non-trivial use-case. Given that GMF Tooling is no longer actively maintained and that Eugenia is mainly in bug-fixing/support mode, my suggestion would be to consider Sirius instead of Eugenia/GMF for your graphical editing needs.

In case graphical views (instead of a graphical editor) are sufficient, you may also want to have a look at Picto [1].

Thanks,
Dimitris

[1] https://www.eclipse.org/epsilon/doc/picto/
Re: Xtext integration with GMF [message #1838421 is a reply to message #1838412] Wed, 24 February 2021 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Henbergs is currently offline John HenbergsFriend
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I have used Sirius before, and I was able to implement both graphical and textual editors via XText/Sirius integration, where the synchronisation was on-demand (upon saving changes), and regarding Picto, I would prefer to implement graphical editors instead of having graphical views, just for the sake of being able to interact with the model via both notations.

However, now I have to work with tools that use GMF Runtime. So if we just forget about GMF Tooling, would there be a way to provide on the fly synchronisation for other graphical modelling tools that use. EMF + GMF runtime and Xtext?

Thank you!
Re: Xtext integration with GMF [message #1838431 is a reply to message #1838421] Wed, 24 February 2021 18:53 Go to previous message
Dimitris Kolovos is currently offline Dimitris KolovosFriend

My knowledge of GMF Runtime is too limited to be able to help with this I'm afraid. I'd suggest sending a message to the Xtext forum in case anyone there has built something similar and can share their insights.

Thanks,
Dimitris
Previous Topic:accessing runtime models with reflection
Next Topic:Code generation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:57:31 GMT 2024