Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore
Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #335513] Fri, 10 April 2009 20:59 Go to next message
kessel haus is currently offline kessel haus
Messages: 302
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi,

Starting with 3.5M6, the update/install does not work anymore.
I'm behind a proxy.
a) I have no clue where the proxy is.
b) I don't what kind of proxy that is,
c) I have no access to configure the proxy and also don't know, who is
configuring it.

So I would appreciate, if there is anything done between 3.5M5 and 3.5M6
on the update stuff in Eclipse, reverse that change.

Regards,
kesselhaus
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #335526 is a reply to message #335513] Mon, 13 April 2009 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Vitale is currently offline Ben Vitale
Messages: 247
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Do you have any errors in your Error Log view?

Are you using Equinox p2 ("Software Updates") or the classic update manager?

Can you be more specific about what isn't working?

-Ben

kesselhaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Starting with 3.5M6, the update/install does not work anymore.
> I'm behind a proxy.
> a) I have no clue where the proxy is.
> b) I don't what kind of proxy that is,
> c) I have no access to configure the proxy and also don't know, who is
> configuring it.
>
> So I would appreciate, if there is anything done between 3.5M5 and 3.5M6
> on the update stuff in Eclipse, reverse that change.
>
> Regards,
> kesselhaus
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #335626 is a reply to message #335526] Thu, 16 April 2009 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kessel haus is currently offline kessel haus
Messages: 302
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Well, I use the Eclipse SDK 3.5M6 zip file and unpacked locally.
I set up the 'Manual' HTTP/HTTPS proxy (host/port) under
Window->Preferences->'Network Connections'.
Then I go to Help->'Install New Software...', add an update site, it
starts searching, but stops with an error dialog popping up, which
states 'No repository found at <name_an_updatesite_here>'.

In the <workspace_loc>/.metadata/.log I have several entries like:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
!MESSAGE System property socksProxyHost is not set but should be
<proxy_name>.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
!MESSAGE System property socksProxyPort is not set but should be
<proxy_port>.

where <proxy_name> and <proxy_port> are the settings I made in the
preferences (as stated above).

Am 13/04/2009 15:30, schrieb Ben Vitale:
> Do you have any errors in your Error Log view?
>
> Are you using Equinox p2 ("Software Updates") or the classic update
> manager?
>
> Can you be more specific about what isn't working?
>
> -Ben
>
> kesselhaus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Starting with 3.5M6, the update/install does not work anymore.
>> I'm behind a proxy.
>> a) I have no clue where the proxy is.
>> b) I don't what kind of proxy that is,
>> c) I have no access to configure the proxy and also don't know, who is
>> configuring it.
>>
>> So I would appreciate, if there is anything done between 3.5M5 and
>> 3.5M6 on the update stuff in Eclipse, reverse that change.
>>
>> Regards,
>> kesselhaus
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #335647 is a reply to message #335626] Fri, 17 April 2009 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ben Vitale is currently offline Ben Vitale
Messages: 247
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Sorry, I can't offer any suggestions. I've never configured a proxy
myself. After digging a little bit, it looks like the logic for logging
those "System property" messages has been in Eclipse since at least 3.4,
if not earlier.

If your configuration was the same in previous versions, and it stopped
working in M6, it's possible a bug was introduced. It looks like there
has been a good amount of proxy-related work in 3.5:

http://tinyurl.com/dzcsmg

If you are so inclined, file a new bug against the Platform product,
Team component. Prefix the summary with [Net].

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug_wizard.cgi

Regards,
Ben

kesselhaus wrote:
> Well, I use the Eclipse SDK 3.5M6 zip file and unpacked locally.
> I set up the 'Manual' HTTP/HTTPS proxy (host/port) under
> Window->Preferences->'Network Connections'.
> Then I go to Help->'Install New Software...', add an update site, it
> starts searching, but stops with an error dialog popping up, which
> states 'No repository found at <name_an_updatesite_here>'.
>
> In the <workspace_loc>/.metadata/.log I have several entries like:
>
> !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
> !MESSAGE System property socksProxyHost is not set but should be
> <proxy_name>.
>
> !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
> !MESSAGE System property socksProxyPort is not set but should be
> <proxy_port>.
>
> where <proxy_name> and <proxy_port> are the settings I made in the
> preferences (as stated above).
>
> Am 13/04/2009 15:30, schrieb Ben Vitale:
>> Do you have any errors in your Error Log view?
>>
>> Are you using Equinox p2 ("Software Updates") or the classic update
>> manager?
>>
>> Can you be more specific about what isn't working?
>>
>> -Ben
>>
>> kesselhaus wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Starting with 3.5M6, the update/install does not work anymore.
>>> I'm behind a proxy.
>>> a) I have no clue where the proxy is.
>>> b) I don't what kind of proxy that is,
>>> c) I have no access to configure the proxy and also don't know, who is
>>> configuring it.
>>>
>>> So I would appreciate, if there is anything done between 3.5M5 and
>>> 3.5M6 on the update stuff in Eclipse, reverse that change.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> kesselhaus
>
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #336361 is a reply to message #335647] Tue, 09 June 2009 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul McDonnell is currently offline Paul McDonnell
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
It sounds like my problems are related.

I've been using Eclipse/RAP for several months usually installing RAP from
the update site. To connect to the site I would manually configure the
proxy server, simply specifying the IP address and port. When I connected
I was asked to authenticate with user name and password and everything
then progressed with no problems.

A few months ago I downloaded 3.5M5 and found the proxy configuration
screen has changed significantly and I couldn't get it to work. As I had
other work on with a higher priority I didn't pursue the problem. Today I
went back to it, thinking the problem might now be resolved in the latest
builds. So, I tried again with 3.5RC4. Still the same problem.

In Windows-Preferences-General-Network Connections, for Active Provider
set to either "Direct" or "Native", using the Test Connection option under
Install/Update-Available Software Sites, results in an "Unknown Host"
message. (As I think I would have expected.)

When the Active Provider is set to "Manual", which I believe is the
equivalent of the manual configuration prior to 3.5MS, there is no error
message on testing the connection, but the download never starts. A
"Progress Information" dialogue tells me that it is contacting the update
site, but thats as far as it gets.

If anyone has any ideas they'd be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul McD
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #336661 is a reply to message #335647] Fri, 26 June 2009 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marco Noto is currently offline Marco Noto
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I've the same problem...if i set native proxy setting, i'm asked for
Authentication (???)...if i set manual proxy, i've the same problem of the
author of the post...
Re: Eclipse 3.5M6 Update behind proxy not working anymore [message #336662 is a reply to message #335647] Fri, 26 June 2009 10:46 Go to previous message
Marco Noto is currently offline Marco Noto
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Ben Vitale wrote:

> Sorry, I can't offer any suggestions. I've never configured a proxy
> myself. After digging a little bit, it looks like the logic for logging
> those "System property" messages has been in Eclipse since at least 3.4,
> if not earlier.

> If your configuration was the same in previous versions, and it stopped
> working in M6, it's possible a bug was introduced. It looks like there
> has been a good amount of proxy-related work in 3.5:

> http://tinyurl.com/dzcsmg

> If you are so inclined, file a new bug against the Platform product,
> Team component. Prefix the summary with [Net].

> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug_wizard.cgi

> Regards,
> Ben

> kesselhaus wrote:
>> Well, I use the Eclipse SDK 3.5M6 zip file and unpacked locally.
>> I set up the 'Manual' HTTP/HTTPS proxy (host/port) under
>> Window->Preferences->'Network Connections'.
>> Then I go to Help->'Install New Software...', add an update site, it
>> starts searching, but stops with an error dialog popping up, which
>> states 'No repository found at <name_an_updatesite_here>'.
>>
>> In the <workspace_loc>/.metadata/.log I have several entries like:
>>
>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
>> !MESSAGE System property socksProxyHost is not set but should be
>> <proxy_name>.
>>
>> !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2009-04-16 18:12:18.427
>> !MESSAGE System property socksProxyPort is not set but should be
>> <proxy_port>.
>>
>> where <proxy_name> and <proxy_port> are the settings I made in the
>> preferences (as stated above).
>>
>> Am 13/04/2009 15:30, schrieb Ben Vitale:
>>> Do you have any errors in your Error Log view?
>>>
>>> Are you using Equinox p2 ("Software Updates") or the classic update
>>> manager?
>>>
>>> Can you be more specific about what isn't working?
>>>
>>> -Ben
>>>
>>> kesselhaus wrote:
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> Starting with 3.5M6, the update/install does not work anymore.
>>>> I'm behind a proxy.
>>>> a) I have no clue where the proxy is.
>>>> b) I don't what kind of proxy that is,
>>>> c) I have no access to configure the proxy and also don't know, who is
>>>> configuring it.
>>>>
>>>> So I would appreciate, if there is anything done between 3.5M5 and
>>>> 3.5M6 on the update stuff in Eclipse, reverse that change.
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> kesselhaus
>>

I've the same problem...if i set native proxy setting, i'm asked for
Authentication (???)...if i set manual proxy, i've the same problem of the
author of the post...

My eclipse Build id: 20090621-0832
Previous Topic:Documentation on Command's handlers (Using commands in cheatsheets).
Next Topic:Enable/Disable plugin.xml generated menus
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 22 03:53:42 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01644 seconds