Last revised $Date: 2011/08/09 14:23:02 $
This plan is under continuous refinement. Please send comments about this plan to the firstname.lastname@example.org developer mailing list.
Note: This plan depends on the Platform Text Plan.
This section lists the goals for Eclipse 3.7 for the JDT Text and the JDT UI component as listed on the
Eclipse Project 3.7 Draft Plan.
 Scaling Up.
Monitor overall performance and memory consumption which includes the addition of new performance tests for new features.
 Design for Extensibility.
Provide APIs for clients where needed.
 Ease of Use.
Make sure we run on the e4 compatibility layer and deliver new productivity features like TBD.
 Technology Trends.
Add support for Java 7.
This section lists the possible work items for Eclipse 3.7 for the JDT Text and the JDT UI component
with the [corresponding theme].
Some of those items have a higher priority than others.
Work items that are annotated with [component name] are delivered for another component.
[3.7.1] Java 7 
Note: Due to late availability of JSR-292 (Invoke Dynamic) and JSR-334 (Project Coin)
and due to the official release date (July 28, 2011) of Java 7 being after 3.7
ships we had to defer the Java 7 support to 3.7.1.
Adopt New Platform Features 
- make sure that we smoothly run on Eclipse SDK 4.12w
- test our bundles against it
- allow changing the default superclass in NewTestCaseWizardPageOne (bug 312204) Markus: 0.5d
- expose JUnitModel.exportTestRunSession(...) as API (bug 316199) Markus: 0.5d
- add new participant-aware refactorings to IRefactoringProcessorIds (bug 230244) Markus: 0.5d
- [> 3.7] new refactoring: convert instance method to static (bug 118032) Raksha: 2w
- [> 3.7] decide on strategy to handle visibility errors after refactorings (and implement it correctly): Markus: 2w
- Increase visibility (with info/warning message)?
- add delegation if possible (with info/warning message)?
- offer possibility to "fix" warning on error page?
- [> 3.7] permanent local rename mode [experimental]
- editing always updates like "Local Rename" (automatically enter linked mode)
- investigate interplay with "refactoring only" mode
- allow to filter on the 'Errors/Warnings' preference/property page (bug 315772) Deepak: 1w
- show hand pointer for single-click tables and trees (bug 277862) Deepak: 2d
- [Platform UI] hover for hidden Problems view (bug 297337) Dani: 0.5d
- [Platform UI] provide error/warning icon decorator for hidden Problems view (bug 170244) Dani: 2d
- [Platform UI] Problems view: can't start quick fixes from a multi-selection (bug 252587) Dani: 1w
- [> 3.7] BiDi support for input fields/combos (related bugs, depends on SWT bug 230854) 6w
- better support for Java properties files (native2ascii conversion) (bug 65571) Deepak: 2w
- improve NLS tooling Deepak: 2w
- [> 3.7] create a problem if a new project specific setting is introduced (bug 300523) Rajesh: 1w
- add 'Open Declared Type' and 'Open Return Type' hyperlink (bug 88434) Raksha: 3d
- [JDT Debug] add 'Open from Clipboard' command (bug 48880) Deepak: 3d
- allow to invoke 'Format Source' from Outline view (bug 86576) Rajesh (reassigned from Deepak): 1d
- provide 'Collapse All' action in Outline view (bug 41092) Rajesh: 1d
- improve smart indent on 'Enter' and pasteRajesh: 2w
- [JDT Debug] Add Undo support for condition editor (bug 186036) Dani: 1d
Call Hierarchy 
- allow to pin Call Hierarchy (bug 304135) Raksha: 3d
- offer additional search scopes via new 'Search In...' view menuRaksha: 2d
- refresh view automatically after switching scopesRaksha: 0.5d
- control-drag (or something) to add to a call hierarchy instead of replace (bug 316356) Raksha: 3d
- [> 3.7] document positions not updated for call locations (bug 121900) Raksha
Type Hierarchy 
- multi-select packages and show in Type Hierarchy (bug 21417) Raksha: 3d
- opening a type hierarchy on a logical package (bug 28472) Raksha: 3d
- update JUnit to its latest version Markus: 1d
- [PDE UI] anonymous workspace for JUnit Plug-in Tests (bug 127719) Markus: 2d
- external contribution: add JUnit 4 support to test suite wizard (bug 155828) Markus: 1d
- investigate and fix problems with launching individual JUnit 3 test methods with JUnit 4 runner Markus: 2d
Content Assist 
- fix constructor completion bugs Dani: 3d
Code Visualization 
- [> 3.7] show horizontal line between methods (bug 13672) Rajesh: 1w
- [> 3.7] visualize code nesting (bug 69455) Raksha or Deepak: 2w
→ could be implemented as semantic highlighting
- [> 3.7] [misc] draw vertical lines in control flow statements (bug 84878)
Quick views 
- [> 3.7] allow to open quick views from any Java element from any view (e.g. from the Package Explorer or Outline view) (bug 285411) Raksha: 2d
Performance And Memory Consumption 
- constantly watch performance test results and act when red
- continue to provide new tests
- [> 3.7] structured selection should support brackets (bug 86835) ???
- move JDT UI over to J2SE-1.5 (bug 320875) Markus: 1w
- resolve bugs that got deferred from 3.6 to 3.7all
- 3.6.1 maintenance work 1w
- 3.6.2 maintenance work 1w
- look at bugs with patches and review those
Cross Team Issues
This section contains cross team issues that have to be clarified. The
concrete outcome affects the plan items listed above.
- [> 3.7] bug 230854 needs to be fixed in order to provide BiDi support for input fields/combos
- Platform Compare
- Platform UI
- JDT Core (3.7 plan)
- Java 7 features; detailed bugs TBD
- JDT Debug