The OpenUP is an iterative software development process that is minimal, complete, and extensible.
- The process is minimal in that only fundamental content is included
- The process is complete in that it can be manifested as an entire process to build a system
- The process is extensible in that it can be used as a foundation on which process content can be added or tailored as needed
- Collaborate to align interests and share understanding
- Balance competing priorities to maximize stakeholder value
- Focus on the architecture early to minimize risks and organize development
- Evolve to continuously obtain feedback and improve