Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Koneki » Vendor specific debug protocol commands
Vendor specific debug protocol commands [message #1416992] Mon, 21 October 2013 20:46 Go to next message
Dan Jackson is currently offline Dan JacksonFriend
I see that the DBGp protocol (xdebug.org/docs-dbgp.php#extended-commands) talks a little about how vendor specific commands are to be named. Is there any guidance on implementing those commands in your LDT client or server?

Specifically, how would you recommend the LDT plugins be changed to accomodate vendor specific commands? And is there a preferred integration point in debugger.lua for doing the same -- like calling out to a vendor-specific module or do we need to change our version of debugger.lua to handle these cases?

Thanks very much
Dan Jackson
Re: Vendor specific debug protocol commands [message #1416995 is a reply to message #1416992] Wed, 23 October 2013 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon Bernard is currently offline Simon BernardFriend
Hi Dan,
I'm not the main developer of debugger code and I'm not aware about a way to add a vendor specific command. Maybe you could have a look at :
- http://git.eclipse.org/c/koneki/org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.git/tree/libraries/luadbgpclient/debugger/commands.lua module at lua/client side.
- IDbgpSession, IDbgpCoreCommands,... and all interface in DLTK package org.eclipse.dltk.dbgp.commands for eclipse/server side. You could take a look at http://git.eclipse.org/c/koneki/org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.koneki.ldt.debug.core/src/org/eclipse/koneki/ldt/debug/core/internal/LuaCoroutineDbgpSession.java too .

HTP

Simon
Re: Vendor specific debug protocol commands [message #1416999 is a reply to message #1416995] Wed, 23 October 2013 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the pointers Simon, I'll take a look.
-Dan
Re: Vendor specific debug protocol commands [message #1417000 is a reply to message #1416992] Wed, 23 October 2013 20:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Julien Desgats is currently offline Julien DesgatsFriend
Hi Dan,

It depends of what you are trying to accomplish.

If you want to be able to inspect some custom userdata, a new feature called "inspectors" will be integrated soon in LDT. It will allow you to provide a custom introspection function which decode customs objects (read only for now). See the https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=410051 for details. Basically a quite simple Lua hook can decode any custom table or userdata.

But if you want to really add commands, like Simon said, you have to add support of it on both debugger and IDE sides. There is no strict policy about adding extra features to DBGp protocol, LDT does this for coroutine handling: a new command "coroutine_list" has been added, and some standards commands takes an extra "-o" parameter to operate on a paused coroutine.

Adding a command in debugger is not so complex, just an extra handle to add in "debugger.commands" (you can monkey patch it, modifying source is not needed).

On IDE side, it's a bit more cumbersome as most of DBGp support is provided by DLTK framework and extending it may be difficult (coroutine management required a ton of hacks IIRC).
Re: Vendor specific debug protocol commands [message #1417001 is a reply to message #1417000] Thu, 24 October 2013 11:25 Go to previous message
Thanks for the advice Julien. I will need to add new commands to provide non-Lua information that is unique to our execution environment back to the IDE. Looks like I've got some work cut out for me on the DLTK side.
Thanks again
Dan
Previous Topic:Koneki LDT stops after stepping twice
Next Topic:Spellcheck Support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:16:09 GMT 2024