Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Requirements Modeling Framework  » Using of GUI is really difficult
Using of GUI is really difficult [message #1323245] Wed, 30 April 2014 06:52 Go to next message
Bjoern Schorre is currently offline Bjoern SchorreFriend
Hi,

after configuring some setting (General, Datatyp and Presentation) I was able to create some Headings and Requirments and so on.
But: Adding, Editing and changing anything in the Documents is really difficult and not very intuitive.
1. I have to click two or three time to an attribute field to change the owner or the status.
2. I cannot add a Requirements to a chapter in the Specifications outline view via Drag and Drop.
3. I cannot add a Requirement via Drap and Drop to the Editor view (2).
4. There is no possibility to change requirements or headings by selecting them only by keyboard.
5. ...

I'm sorry. But the suppoort of the user isn't very good. From my point of view there is a lot of work to do in the GUI.

Best regards
Björn

[Updated on: Wed, 30 April 2014 06:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Using of GUI is really difficult [message #1323516 is a reply to message #1323245] Wed, 30 April 2014 09:48 Go to previous message
Michael Jastram is currently offline Michael JastramFriend
Hello Björn,

Quote:
I'm sorry. But the suppoort of the user isn't very good.

Welcome to the world of open source software. Smile But seriously, you're right that currently, the user interface is minimal. Let me first provide an explanation, and then some possible courses of action:

The development of the GUI is broadly financed by academics and by industrial use cases. Academics typically focuses on supporting research with tools, where usability takes second place. Currently, the primary industrial use case is inspection of ReqIF files. Editing is typically limited to just setting a few values. While we're looking for an industrial sponsor to finance usability improvement, that's just not where the money is right now.

So what can we do?

1. Some of the issues you mentioned are known. Rather having them here in the forum, it would be great if you could record them as feature requests in the bug tracker, ensuring not to create duplicates.
  2. The fastest way to a better GUI is an industrial sponsor. Is your employer interested in using ProR for requirements? Then please contact me. Depending on your use case, this may still be a better value than commercial tools. You work for an automotive supplier, right? I'd love to talk to someone in your organization.
  3. Are you also affiliated with an academic institution? If so, try to find Students doing work as part of their project work or thesis.
  4. Last, if you have the ability, contribute yourself. We'll give you everything you need to get up to speed.

Best,

- Michael
Previous Topic:RTF Presentation
Next Topic:Why using new model instead of using the model generated by xsd file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:37:56 GMT 2024