Skip to main content


Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » cannot add some eclipse projects to svn
cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1262624] Mon, 03 March 2014 21:03 Go to next message
D Rab is currently offline D RabFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2014
Junior Member
Hi,

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, so I'm here in the noob forum.

I have a few projects in my workspace with names like

mystuff-ear
mystuff-ejb
mystuff-client
mystuff-web
mystuff-util

I just set up my seventh workspace because the other 6 times I told myself I'm just unlucky, but I see a pattern. I can without problems add the projects -ear, -ejb, -client to subversion, but when I try to add a project named -web, -web2, -util then I see an error message: "The folder indicated by the URL cannot already exist". So I delete the folder in the svn repository and try again. But to no avail.

several times, I told myself that I did something wrong. So I completely deleted all folders in my svn repository, I disconnected the projects from svn, then I would try to share projects again. 6 times, I suspected the workspace to be corrupt and made a new one. I created the new maven projects and tried to share them. I tried different orders. Even when I try to add the -web project first it doesn't work. I have 2 projects that have the exact same content (generated from mvn archetype). One is named mystuff-web , the other mystuff-rest . Guess which one can't be shared with svn?

I really enjoy naming my svn repository folders just like my projects. Can anyone help?

this is what I see in the console:

svn: '/svn/xxxx/!svn/bc/193/cranberry/mystuff-util' path not found: 404 Not Found (https: //www.xxxxx.de)
mkdir -m "Initial import." https: //www.xxxxx.de/svn/xxxx/cranberry/mystuff-util
    Committed revision 194.
checkout -N -r HEAD https: //www.xxxxx.de/svn/xxxx/cranberry/mystuff-util
    Checked out revision 194.


(I added spaces so it doesn't look like links)

The folder is created in the repository. The project looks like it's connected to the repository as I have a right-click menu for "team" and I have the option to commit. But when I choose "commit" then nothing happens.

to me this looks like just the commit window is just not spawning for me.
Re: cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1262891 is a reply to message #1262624] Tue, 04 March 2014 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 03/03/2014 03:06 PM, D Rab wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure where else to ask this question, so I'm here in the noob
> forum.
>
> I have a few projects in my workspace with names like
>
> mystuff-ear
> mystuff-ejb
> mystuff-client
> mystuff-web
> mystuff-util
>
> I just set up my seventh workspace because the other 6 times I told
> myself I'm just unlucky, but I see a pattern. I can without problems add
> the projects -ear, -ejb, -client to subversion, but when I try to add a
> project named -web, -web2, -util then I see an error message: "The
> folder indicated by the URL cannot already exist". So I delete the
> folder in the svn repository and try again. But to no avail.
>
> several times, I told myself that I did something wrong. So I completely
> deleted all folders in my svn repository, I disconnected the projects
> from svn, then I would try to share projects again. 6 times, I suspected
> the workspace to be corrupt and made a new one. I created the new maven
> projects and tried to share them. I tried different orders. Even when I
> try to add the -web project first it doesn't work. I have 2 projects
> that have the exact same content (generated from mvn archetype). One is
> named mystuff-web , the other mystuff-rest . Guess which one can't be
> shared with svn?
>
> I really enjoy naming my svn repository folders just like my projects.
> Can anyone help?
> this is what I see in the console:
>
>
> svn: '/svn/xxxx/!svn/bc/193/cranberry/mystuff-util' path not found: 404
> Not Found (https: //www.xxxxx.de)
> mkdir -m "Initial import." https:
> //www.xxxxx.de/svn/xxxx/cranberry/mystuff-util
> Committed revision 194.
> checkout -N -r HEAD https: //www.xxxxx.de/svn/xxxx/cranberry/mystuff-util
> Checked out revision 194.
>
>
> (I added spaces so it doesn't look like links)
>
> The folder is created in the repository. The project looks like it's
> connected to the repository as I have a right-click menu for "team" and
> I have the option to commit. But when I choose "commit" then nothing
> happens.
>
> to me this looks like just the commit window is just not spawning for me.

This is several questions inadequately described using unspecific
terminology.

First, you're better off not putting your project subdirectories into
the workspace subdirectory. Put them where you create them and set them
up for Subversion.

Second, you can't delete subdirectories out of the workspace filesystem
by hand, but only using Eclipse. If you do it from the command line,
Eclipse won't display the projects because they're no longer there in
the filesystem, but Eclipse itself retains their names and won't let you
create new ones by the same names. This is why you think you've been
unlucky with workspaces.

Last, assuming you're using subclipse or subversive plug-ins for Eclipse
(and it sounds like you are), there's a separate Eclipse forum for
getting help with them.

Very last, set your projects up like this. I'm not saying this is the
only way, just that it's going to be less confusing.

1. Use the command line to create subdirectories in your filesystem.
2. If you've already got source code, dump it down into the project.
2bis. I would commit everything to Subversion by hand just to make sure
that part of the equation is working.
3. Launch Eclipse and switch to the workspace you wish to use.
4. Create a new Java Project or Dynamic Web Project with the name you
want, i.e.: the name of the subdirectory your code is in.
5. After naming the project in the wizard, don't default the source code
into the workspace, but click the button and browse to the subdirectory
in your filesystem where you've put the code.
6. Finish running the new-project wizard.
7. Then begin using the Team submenus in Eclipse.

Steps 4, 5 and 6 will create files and folders in your project named
..project, .classpath and .settings. You DO want to let Subversion commit
these. If you're actually sharing your project, there are later caveats
about paths external to your projects in the .classpath file, but you
can ask about that another time or read this page which is about Git,
but the details apply to Subversion too.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/git-eclipse.html

If you already have actual Eclipse projects, you can import them using
File -> Import... -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace instead
of creating them new. The reason this will work is only because your
projects already have good .project, .classpath and .settings in the
filesystem.

I hope this help and isn't too much of a firehose to drink from.

Cheers.
Re: cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1263698 is a reply to message #1262891] Tue, 04 March 2014 17:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D Rab is currently offline D RabFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2014
Junior Member
Russell Bateman wrote on Mon, 03 March 2014 22:19
On 03/03/2014 03:06
This is several questions inadequately described using unspecific
terminology.

sorry, I'm not an expert in eclipse.

Quote:

First, you're better off not putting your project subdirectories into
the workspace subdirectory. Put them where you create them and set them
up for Subversion.


I agree. It's what I used to do a few times. But after a while of having problems, you agree to do it the way the IDE suggests it to you. ...in an attempt to minimize my own errors.

Quote:

Second, you can't delete subdirectories out of the workspace filesystem
by hand, but only using Eclipse. If you do it from the command line,
Eclipse won't display the projects because they're no longer there in
the filesystem, but Eclipse itself retains their names and won't let you
create new ones by the same names. This is why you think you've been
unlucky with workspaces.

sorry, I don't understand anything you just said there. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. In the SVN Repository Perspective, I deleted the SVN repository subdirectory. In the Project Explorer, I disconnected the project from SVN. Then I tried again. I didn't do anything on the command line.

But your response makes me fear: If I once ever in any workspace created a project named xyz and connected it with subversion, then I won't ever be able to connect a project with the same name? Not even in another workspace?

Quote:

Last, assuming you're using subclipse or subversive plug-ins for Eclipse
(and it sounds like you are), there's a separate Eclipse forum for
getting help with them.

I see a subversive forum, but no subclipse forum. Can you give me a link to it? And how do I know if I use subclipe or subversive?

Quote:

2bis. I would commit everything to Subversion by hand just to make sure
that part of the equation is working.

by hand you mean in the console? The eclipse svn plug-in is not reliable?


Quote:

I hope this help and isn't too much of a firehose to drink from.


thanks for your response. I guess I'll try to set it up with the project folders outside the workspace. Though I don't see a reason for it currently. And I have little hope this will resolve the issue I have with eclipse telling me that it can't connect to a svn subdirectory because it already exists even though it was eclipse that just created it in just that step.
Re: cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1264194 is a reply to message #1263698] Wed, 05 March 2014 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 03/04/2014 10:58 AM, D Rab wrote:
> Russell Bateman wrote on Mon, 03 March 2014 22:19
>> On 03/03/2014 03:06 This is several questions inadequately described
>> using unspecific terminology.
>
> sorry, I'm not an expert in eclipse.
>
> Quote:
>> First, you're better off not putting your project subdirectories into
>> the workspace subdirectory. Put them where you create them and set
>> them up for Subversion.
>
>
> I agree. It's what I used to do a few times. But after a while of having
> problems, you agree to do it the way the IDE suggests it to you. ...in
> an attempt to minimize my own errors.

No, the IDE is only defaulting to creating the project in the workspace
filesystem. You aren't otherwise encouraged to do that. I only take that
default for quick and dirty projects--never for real work that I'm
sharing via version control with colleagues.

> Quote:
>> Second, you can't delete subdirectories out of the workspace
>> filesystem by hand, but only using Eclipse. If you do it from the
>> command line, Eclipse won't display the projects because they're no
>> longer there in the filesystem, but Eclipse itself retains their names
>> and won't let you create new ones by the same names. This is why you
>> think you've been unlucky with workspaces.
>
> sorry, I don't understand anything you just said there. Maybe I didn't
> explain it well enough. In the SVN Repository Perspective, I deleted the
> SVN repository subdirectory. In the Project Explorer, I disconnected the
> project from SVN. Then I tried again. I didn't do anything on the
> command line.
>
> But your response makes me fear: If I once ever in any workspace created
> a project named xyz and connected it with subversion, then I won't ever
> be able to connect a project with the same name? Not even in another
> workspace?

No. Projects are known to the workspace, but not to other workspaces. I
haven't used Subversion for a long time and I never used SVN Repository
Perspective. So I have two suggestions. First, I won't be able to help
you with SVN Repository Perspective, but there is another Eclipse forum
(Subversive) that might be able to. Second, I prefer to do version
control from the command line (though I've used Subversion through the
Team menu) and it works perfectly just as if you weren't using Eclipse.

> Quote:
>> Last, assuming you're using subclipse or subversive plug-ins for
>> Eclipse (and it sounds like you are), there's a separate Eclipse forum
>> for getting help with them.
>
> I see a subversive forum, but no subclipse forum. Can you give me a link
> to it? And how do I know if I use subclipe or subversive?
>
> Quote:
>> 2bis. I would commit everything to Subversion by hand just to make
>> sure that part of the equation is working.
>
> by hand you mean in the console? The eclipse svn plug-in is not reliable?
>
>
> Quote:
>> I hope this help and isn't too much of a firehose to drink from.
>
>
> thanks for your response. I guess I'll try to set it up with the project
> folders outside the workspace. Though I don't see a reason for it
> currently. And I have little hope this will resolve the issue I have
> with eclipse telling me that it can't connect to a svn subdirectory
> because it already exists even though it was eclipse that just created
> it in just that step.

Best of luck. If you were able to reduce your experience to a series of
reproduceable steps, someone here might more quickly guess what's going
wrong.

Cheers.
Re: cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1266667 is a reply to message #1264194] Fri, 07 March 2014 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D Rab is currently offline D RabFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: March 2014
Junior Member
thanks. looks like I'll use tortoise then.
Re: cannot add some eclipse projects to svn [message #1267188 is a reply to message #1266667] Sat, 08 March 2014 16:21 Go to previous message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend
Messages: 3798
Registered: July 2009
Location: Provo, Utah, USA
Senior Member

On 03/07/2014 01:07 PM, D Rab wrote:
> thanks. looks like I'll use tortoise then.


I used TortoiseSVN a number of years ago briefly. It worked very well
for me. Here's a write-up I did on it. Don't know if it will be any help.

http://www.javahotchocolate.com/tutorials/tortoisesvn.html
Previous Topic:How to find calling function
Next Topic:can I build rpm, deb from a java project
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Oct 26 22:30:21 GMT 2020

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.03741 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software

Back to the top