Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » How to enter a new password with Egit?
How to enter a new password with Egit? [message #1220663] Thu, 12 December 2013 23:49 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I was using Egit in Eclipse well enough for a while. My git server is tied to our enterprise logins, and I had to reset my password for expiry rules. I was able to log back into our git server's web site, but git commands from EGit are now failing with "not authorized". I'm guessing I have to get Egit to let me enter the new password, but I don't see how to make that happen. I even tried running "git status" from the command line, and that didn't prompt me for a password at all. I'm not sure what's going on here.

I was able to do a "git pull" from the command line, and it did prompt me for a password, and I was able to authenticate. It still fails from Eclipse. I just checked with another colleague, and he gets the same error. Ironically, it doesn't bother me that much because he gave up trying to use EGit a long time ago, and just does everything he can from the command line.

[Updated on: Fri, 13 December 2013 00:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to enter a new password with Egit? [message #1220668 is a reply to message #1220663] Fri, 13 December 2013 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
Someone pointed out to me that if I open up the git repo view and navigate into "Remotes"->"origin" I will find two entries there, one for upstream and one for downstream. Right-click on each of those and select "Change Credentials". Do this for every repo pointing to the same server.

I'm glad there's a way to fix this, but is it possible to make this harder? I can't imagine how. I'm going to have to do this every 30 days.
Re: How to enter a new password with Egit? [message #1220696 is a reply to message #1220668] Fri, 13 December 2013 07:31 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
The password is stored once per server so there should be no need to repeat this per repository hosted on the same server. And yes, this is ugly, patches welcome Smile
Previous Topic:Transport Error - not authorized
Next Topic:How can I install EGIT offline?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:34:35 GMT 2024