Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Problem with debugging
Problem with debugging [message #836877] Thu, 05 April 2012 01:58 Go to next message
Maciej Florczak is currently offline Maciej FlorczakFriend
Hi all,
I have just started to getting familiar with eclipse CDT under MW 7. Before put this post I looked through the forum and I did not find the solution. The problem occure during debugging and the coment "No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command" is shown. This problem is not related to building and running process. Regarding to the additional information I am currently using GNU Debugger which is provided by Cygwin, by the way I was also debugging with MinGW GDB and the result was the same.

Moreover when I was creating a project I chose Empty Project, so my question is, do I have to constitute the makefile? I know that so called "Hello World C++ Project" automatically creates makefiile and makefile is destined for expanded project. I have used Microsoft Visual Studio before and there was no place for makefile.

OK, finaly my question is:

Does each empty eclipse project require makefile creation, if not what I do improper I get below mentioned message.

No symbol table is loaded. Use the "file" command.
[New Thread 2808.0xc44]

Thanks for any remarks.
Re: Problem with debugging [message #837269 is a reply to message #836877] Thu, 05 April 2012 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
If you go to Run->Debug configurations... you will see a list of debug launches. Is the one that you are using specifying the binary to debug? Is that binary available?

Marc
Re: Problem with debugging [message #837285 is a reply to message #836877] Thu, 05 April 2012 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Maciej Florczak wrote on Thu, 05 April 2012 03:58

Your application has no debug info. You should run the debug version.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Problem with debugging [message #837417 is a reply to message #837269] Thu, 05 April 2012 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam wrote on Thu, 05 April 2012 09:09
If you go to Run->Debug configurations... you will see a list of debug launches. Is the one that you are using specifying the binary to debug? Is that binary available?

Marc

Yes, it is available I mean the exe file, moreover in debug configuration window there is no difference between my "Empty Project" and "Hello World Project", which debuges properly.

Axel Mueller wrote
Your application has no debug info. You should run the debug version.

What do you mean Axel that I should run my debug version? Run process executes very well. Please specify your thought.
Re: Problem with debugging [message #839970 is a reply to message #837417] Mon, 09 April 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc Khouzam is currently offline Marc KhouzamFriend
I believe Axel means that you must run the debug version of the binary, the one built with -g. You will find it under the Debug/ subdirectory of your eclipse project

Marc
Re: Problem with debugging [message #841534 is a reply to message #836877] Wed, 11 April 2012 12:41 Go to previous message
Sorry for being absent, I was off line. I would like to say that axel's remark was accurate. Thanks a lot.
Previous Topic:Problems with cin::getline
Next Topic:Include Discovery
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:44:31 GMT 2024