Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed"
"Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #643035] Fri, 03 December 2010 17:36 Go to next message
Markus  is currently offline Markus Friend
Hi,

When I set breakpoints in Eclipse/CDT (Helios) I get the following error:
"Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed"

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

Brs,
Markus
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #643234 is a reply to message #643035] Mon, 06 December 2010 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
This messages indicates that the source file where you set the breakpoint does not belong to the actual binary you are debugging (btw, gdb will issue this message). This can be the case if you have multiple binaries in your project that share the same source but not all of the files. You can ignore then this warning.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #643277 is a reply to message #643035] Mon, 06 December 2010 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus  is currently offline Markus Friend
Hi,

I noticed that setting breakpoints via the gdb console in Eclipse works, but using the gui, i.e. right clicking and setting the breakpoint, doesn't work.

Brs,
Markus
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #643526 is a reply to message #643277] Tue, 07 December 2010 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Markus wrote on Mon, 06 December 2010 12:18
Hi,

I noticed that setting breakpoints via the gdb console in Eclipse works, but using the gui, i.e. right clicking and setting the breakpoint, doesn't work.

Brs,
Markus

You can activate gdb traces to see the gdb command input/output. Windows->Preferences-C/C++->Debug->gdb->Enable traces

Does the warning disappear when you actually run your program? Does it stop at the breakpoint set using the GUI?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #656751 is a reply to message #643277] Mon, 28 February 2011 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hefeweizen  is currently offline hefeweizen Friend
it does not make sense that one can not use the GUI in eclipse. If I want to use gdb directly, then I forget about eclipse
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #657028 is a reply to message #656751] Tue, 01 March 2011 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hefeweizen wrote on Mon, 28 February 2011 13:50
it does not make sense that one can not use the GUI in eclipse. If I want to use gdb directly, then I forget about eclipse

Thanks a lot for your glorious comment. It will help the initial poster a lot.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #657035 is a reply to message #657028] Tue, 01 March 2011 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hefeweizen  is currently offline hefeweizen Friend
I am sorry about that, was not intended. I just felt bad that after a lot of testing, one of the most beautiful (in my opinion) programming IDEs can not use breakpoints while debugging. Any other IDE can do this: Visual Studio. Netbeans, Xcode, Bloodshed, etc
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #713917 is a reply to message #643035] Tue, 09 August 2011 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel  err is currently offline Daniel errFriend
I often had the same problem.
I recently found that it was because an other occurence of my binary was not properly terminated. This can be view in the "debug perspective" where multiple C/C++ applications are still running (not marked as "Terminated")
You just have to select those and delete them.
Regards
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #717123 is a reply to message #713917] Fri, 19 August 2011 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel  is currently offline Daniel Friend
Hi!

I'm confused about the sentence "This can be view in the "debug perspective" where multiple C/C++ applications are still running (not marked as "Terminated") You just have to select those and delete them." In the "debug perspective" i didn't find the c/c++ applications list?

Thanks a lot!
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #717393 is a reply to message #713917] Sat, 20 August 2011 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel  is currently offline Daniel Friend
Got it!
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #1608366 is a reply to message #643035] Mon, 09 February 2015 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serge Rogatch is currently offline Serge RogatchFriend
I encountered this problem when trying to debug a 64-bit application. A workaround is to go to "Run" -> "Debug Configurations..." -> YOUR_CONFIGURATION -> tab "Debugge" -> check "Stop on startup at: main"
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #1632901 is a reply to message #1608366] Tue, 24 February 2015 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Derek Lemon is currently offline Derek LemonFriend
This problem may also be encountered if your source paths or source lookup doesn't match up right.

For example if you are attaching to a program built on another machine, and the debugger is attempting to load all of the symbols by absolute path, your source location much match the build machines.

I know is a problem that I have ran into, I have just made my paths align which is probably the hard solution. GDB will resolve this just fine, but breakpoints in eclipse will fail.

I think this is most applicable when debugging with Attach to Application. There are other source lookup mechanisms you can use in the debug configuration underneath the source tab.
Re: "Breakpoint attribute problem: installation failed" [message #1756283 is a reply to message #643035] Tue, 14 March 2017 22:24 Go to previous message
Peter Mash is currently offline Peter MashFriend
Make sure that the "Skip All Breakpoints" feature is not set! (This was my problem...)
Previous Topic:Neon: Arduino losses connection with target
Next Topic:Program file does not exist Error, along with program g++ and gcc not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:19:40 GMT 2024