Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Eclipse launcher & max heap size problem(Problem with setting max heap size with -Xmx, strangely connected with -vm parameter in eclipse.ini)
Eclipse launcher & max heap size problem [message #508946] Wed, 20 January 2010 19:53
Filip Pacholczyk is currently offline Filip PacholczykFriend
Hi all,

I'm getting a strange problem when trying to launch Eclipse-based applications. The same happens for Eclipse Galileo, for Easy Eclipse for Python and for RCP application I develop at my work.

On a WinXP Pro 32bit - based system with 4GB memory, when trying to set -Xmx in eclipse.ini with values above 766m, after launching eclipse.exe I'm getting a dialog window with error message "JVM terminated. Exit code=-1". The Java version is 1.5.0_15 (JDK and JRE). Task manager reports that there're above 2GBs memory available.

However, I noticed something really strange: when adding -vm parameter in eclipse.ini, explicitly specifying path to java.exe, I'm able to set the heap size to about 1200m. Even if the path points to default system's java installation (I assume that Eclipse launcher uses the java.exe that is available on system's path - on Windows it's c:\WINDOWS\system32\java.exe, a copy of JRE's java.exe.)

Could anyone explain me what exact difference specifying -vm parameter make, that the possible max heap sizes accepted by JVM are so very different?

Best regards,
Filip

Shooting skeet eight hours a month was excellent training for them. It trained them to shoot skeet.
~ Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Previous Topic:global limit on undo/redo stack
Next Topic:How to change the default config for an exported eclipse product
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 16:51:00 GMT 2024