Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Could not write metadata for '/someproject'.(D:\Programming\Java\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects\someproject\.markers.snap (The system cannot find the path specified))
Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #499972] Tue, 24 November 2009 15:53 Go to next message
krainert is currently offline krainertFriend
EDIT:
Solved it by deleting the .metadata directory (D:\Programming\Java\.metadata).

Hey there,

I recently encountered the following error on my laptop:

Could not write metadata for '/someproject'.
D:\Programming\Java\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.reso urces\.projects\someproject\.markers.snap (The system cannot find the path specified)

Odd, I though and reinstalled Eclipse. Today, however, I encountered the exact same error on my desktop. I've never seen the error message before (been using Eclipse for quite a while), and the installations on both laptop and desktop were brand new. My laptop is even newly formatted. Both machines run Windows 7 (32 bit on laptop, 64 bit on desktop), and D: is the second out of two partitions on each of the computer's drives whereas C: is the first and system drive. I'm synchronizing data between the machines (entire D: drive with a few exceptions not including D:\Programming), and I figure this somehow affects Eclipse. However, I just successfully removed read-only and hidden attributes on all files on my laptop's entire D: drive and still got the error on project load!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT:
The failure occurs upon periodic save and, apparently, project load and manual save.

Student, Computer Science at the University of Aarhus

[Updated on: Tue, 24 November 2009 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #500100 is a reply to message #499972] Tue, 24 November 2009 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krainert is currently offline krainertFriend
Solved it by deleting the .metadata directory (D:\Programming\Java\.metadata).

Student, Computer Science at the University of Aarhus

[Updated on: Tue, 24 November 2009 23:29]

Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #867722 is a reply to message #499972] Tue, 01 May 2012 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Palmer Eldritch is currently offline Palmer EldritchFriend
I am having the exact same problem - I do not consider deleting the .metadata folder a solution

Any ideas ?

Should I file a bug ?

The RemoteSystemsTempFiles project is long gone

The problem occurred after cloning a git repo - consisting of a workspace with various eclipse projects in it - and switching to this workspace

eclipse-kepler JEE
Win7 x64

[Updated on: Tue, 01 May 2012 12:55]

Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #868336 is a reply to message #867722] Tue, 01 May 2012 19:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright - I did a File > Refresh on the whole of the workspace (for other reasons) and it went away (it told me project RemoteSystemsTempFiles does not exist - should I remove it - I said yes and all fine) Still looks like a bug to me - it should fail gracefully no ?

eclipse-kepler JEE
Win7 x64

[Updated on: Tue, 01 May 2012 19:16]

Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #868385 is a reply to message #868336] Tue, 01 May 2012 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Workspaces are not meant to be shared. You shouldn't check a workspace into a repo. You should only check projects into repos.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 May 2012 01:44]

Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #869975 is a reply to message #867722] Sat, 05 May 2012 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russell Bateman is currently offline Russell BatemanFriend

On 05/01/2012 06:54 AM, Palmer Eldritch wrote:
> I am having the exact same problem - I do not consider deleting the
> metadat folder a solution
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Should I file a bug ?
>
> The RemoteSystemsTempFiles project is long gone
>
> The problem occurred after cloning a git repo - consisting of a
> workspace with various eclipse projects in it and switching to this
> workspace

(For all sorts of reasons, workspaces cannot be shared. Commit only
projects to source-code/version control.)
Re: Could not write metadata for '/someproject'. [message #879043 is a reply to message #499972] Wed, 30 May 2012 12:31 Go to previous message
No - not really - see (and reply) here : ht tp://stackoverflow.com/questions/4278601/what-of-eclipse-project-metadata-can-i-safely-ignore-in-git-mercurial

Also see :
ht tp://stackoverflow.com/questions/116121/do-you-keep-your-project-files-under-version-control/119377#119377

ht tp://stackoverflow.com/questions/2024307/what-should-be-committed-to-the-repository-in-the-eclipse-workspace

eclipse-kepler JEE
Win7 x64
Previous Topic:Python Shell inside Eclipse
Next Topic:Where to start?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:01:20 GMT 2024