Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab(Creating a web-page widget for users to apply Oomph install.)
Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab [message #1858346] Wed, 29 March 2023 22:45 Go to next message
Jörn Guy Süß is currently offline Jörn Guy SüßFriend

I have a project which is hosted on publicly on gitlab.com. I have seen that there is a procedure to link configurations so they are accessible through a embedded widget and a webpage. This seems to involve creating links through the main Eclipse catalogue. There seems to be a delegation in that catalogue into github, but there is known for gitlab. My projects are small, and while they some of them are linked to Eclipse, not all of them are. I would like to offer contributors the ease of a Configuration with a click install, as shown in the procedure. Is this possible? What would this involve?
Re: Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab [message #1858359 is a reply to message #1858346] Thu, 30 March 2023 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Both the Eclipse Projects Catalog and the Github Projects catalog are extensible via their <User> Project. Very often when I work for customers I make my/their Project setups logically contained by one of these two, depending on how much I want to reuse the setup tasks and variables defined in those Catalogs.

If the Configuration's Workspace's stream href is an absolute URI to a plain-text project setup, and that Project is not already contained in the Project Catalog that it (the Project) specifies as its Logical Container, the Project will be added to the <User> Project of the specified Project Catalog automatically (the same way as you can do manually}.

All the processing in done in org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.wizards.ConfigurationProcessor. It's rather tricky to get it exactly right. So setting breakpoints and debug launching the installer to test how your dropped Configuration is handled may be helpful for debugging what's going on...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab [message #1858417 is a reply to message #1858359] Sat, 01 April 2023 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks Ed, I am aware of those two top-level catalogues. I am on Gitlab an unsure if it is a good idea to cross-reference from those. I have to re-read what permissions I would need to commit a reference there. I did not go into that detail because I felt linking Gitlab structures from Github would not be ideal, given that they probably have different naming conventions for variables and such. Can you advise if I should attempt set up a top-level catalogue project for Gitlab? Not advise on HOW to do the work, but IF this seems the right approach an architecture.
Re: Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab [message #1858421 is a reply to message #1858417] Sun, 02 April 2023 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If the project is "like" and Eclipse project, e.g., involves plugins and needs a target platform, I would use the Eclipse Project Catalog, otherwise I'd use the Gihub project catalog, which only has a very few variables that you could simply choose not to use. I don't think there is any compelling reason to create your own Project Catalog, also because Projects support nesting so you can use a Project a bit like a Catalog.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Configuration Redirection for a project hosted on Gitlab [message #1858422 is a reply to message #1858421] Sun, 02 April 2023 07:59 Go to previous message

Thanks for the advice. I had ruled out the Eclipse Project Catalog, falsely believing it to only be for Eclipse or Incubator projects. My projects are quite tightly connected to Eclipse, Oomph and EMF. I will follow instructions to list on Eclipse catalog. Thanks.
Previous Topic:Running Oomph setup from the command line
Next Topic:Packaging plugin within Eclipse IDE installer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:29:06 GMT 2024