Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Taking Long To Install(Eclipse is taking too long to install)
Eclipse Taking Long To Install [message #1857231] Thu, 26 January 2023 09:29 Go to next message
rishu tiwari is currently offline rishu tiwariFriend
The Installation Process of Eclipse is taking long time to get installed.
It is giving me some kind of error or notification like:
Artifact Download is progressing very slowly from the following hosts
The Installation Process is taking longer than usual
and it auto detects Java but ask for Java folder location and it sometimes does not even respond.
I am running Windows 11 OS
Re: Eclipse Taking Long To Install [message #1857264 is a reply to message #1857231] Fri, 27 January 2023 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Networks are as fast or as slow as they are. Mirrors sites are used and the installer tries to find the fastest ones to use, but if they too are slow, the installer can do nothing to speed that up...

I'm not sure what specific problem you are having choosing the Java version. The choices aren't correct? You can't make a choice because?

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Taking Long To Install [message #1858377 is a reply to message #1857231] Fri, 31 March 2023 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Mailänder is currently offline Matthias MailänderFriend
For me, it showed a Swedish mirror that was slow. However, Eclipse has at least 3 mirrors from Germany that are very fast for me, so I think it makes poor choices that also differ from what the eclipse.org/download mirror selection does. A manual override would be nice.
Re: Eclipse Taking Long To Install [message #1858383 is a reply to message #1858377] Fri, 31 March 2023 11:39 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The installer uses the following approach (which is different from p2's default, which blindly uses the first 4 listed mirrors). It sorts all the artifacts from smallest to largest, then partitions the list to move largest to the middle and the medium sized ones toward the end. Then it uses all the mirrors for the smallest artifacts first, measuring how fast each one is, and because they are small, getting that information relatively quickly so as to avoid using slow mirrors for large artifacts. I.e., it will use mirrors according to which ones were measured to be the fastest. I know it's happen to me more than once that one slow mirror for one small artifact uses more time than all the other downloads combined. So there isn't a perfect automatic solution. But I also don't plan to surface a list of mirrors for the users to choose. Each site potentially has a different set of mirrors and the user isn't likely to know which is fast just by looking the names, and that speed is likely to vary over time. But it is open source, so if you want to work on contributing something like that, you could...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:MySQL drivers error
Next Topic:I cant open New FXML Document
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:20:33 GMT 2024