Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » EMF Forms evaluation(EMF Forms evaluation)
EMF Forms evaluation [message #1856663] Wed, 21 December 2022 16:16 Go to next message
Geoffry Roberts is currently offline Geoffry RobertsFriend
Q: Must I have an in-depth knowledge of RCP in order to use EMFForms?

I am a long time EMF user (since 2006) but have not done any RCP work for over ten years. There is not much call for it in my world.

I now have an RCP project where the promise offered by EMF Forms is attractive. I have been asked to do an evaluation.

I modeled up my data structures. (I am good at that. )
I was able to generate view-models for each class in my model.
I was able to display a view-model as a page in a MultiPageEditorPart.
I am confident that I can persist anything to XML using the standard EMF load/save.
I assume the binding twixt view and model is being handled.

EMF Forms seems to like to display a single class worth of data but not multiple classes at the same time. Correct?
Is layout of multiple classes best handled at the editor page level say, in and around any call to ECPSWTViewRenderer...?
When the view-model for one class (the parent) has in it a reference to another class (the child), the previewer displays the child as a hyperlink. Click the link and the linked in view (the child) displays in a separate window. Is there a way to have it display along with its parent?

Thanks much.
Re: EMF Forms evaluation [message #1856822 is a reply to message #1856663] Wed, 04 January 2023 12:16 Go to previous message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi,

you do not really have to have RCP knowledeg to use EMF Forms. However, if you want to embed EMF Forms into an RCP application, this would obviously require some RCP knowledge.
About the second question: Yes you can show attributes of sub elements of a parent in the same form. By default, this is supported for 1:1 containment references, e.g. a person has an address. In this case you can show all attributes of adress in the form of the person. This also works for references with multiplicity many, although usually you want to use a table then.

Best regards,
Jonas

--
Jonas Helming
Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:EMF Forms Services
Next Topic:Design information on Ecore2Ecore, Ecore2XML
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:10:19 GMT 2024