Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » RSEG1066 Negotiation Failed (Enable connection remote device through RSE)
RSEG1066 Negotiation Failed [message #1850684] Mon, 14 March 2022 10:24 Go to next message
Andrea Ciullo is currently offline Andrea CiulloFriend
Hi all,

I'm quite new on Eclipse and its Remote System Explorer.

I'm trying connecting a remote linux embedded system (supporting Arago distro), but at the end of configuration I get this message:

"Failed to connect sshd on "[ip addr]"
Algorithm negotiation fail

I tried ssh connection directly with commands on terminals, and it work perfectly.

Any suggestions which could be the problem?
Thanks
Re: RSEG1066 Negotiation Failed [message #1850691 is a reply to message #1850684] Mon, 14 March 2022 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Andrea Ciullo wrote on Mon, 14 March 2022 10:24

"Failed to connect sshd on "[ip addr]"
Algorithm negotiation fail

I tried ssh connection directly with commands on terminals, and it work perfectly.

Any suggestions which could be the problem?

What SSH daemon is running on the remote end? My first guess at a possible cause would be the deprecation of the ssh-rsa SHA1-based signature algorithm.
Modern OpenSSH daemons have it disabled and require the SHA-2 signature algorithms rsa-sha2-256 or rsa-sha2-512.

I think RSE uses the JSch Java SSH library, which does not support rsa-sha2-256 or rsa-sha2-512.

If that is indeed the problem: possible work-arounds or solutions, in increasing order of difficulty, but also increasing likelihood to actually resolve the problem:

1. If RSE has a way to use an external SSH executable instead of a Java library, configure it to use that external SSH executable. Otherwise:
  2. Do not use an RSA key for authentication. Use an ECDSA256 key.
  3. If that doesn't help, remove a possibly stored RSA host key from ~/.ssh/known_hosts and try again and hope the server offers a non-RSA host key.
  4. If that still doesn't work, try to use the JSch fork. That fork does implement the SHA-2 RSA signature algorithms. It claims to be a drop-in replacement for JSch 0.1.55, but I don't know if it's OSGi-fied. If not, you many have to re-bundle it.
  5. Rewrite RSE not to use com.jcraft.jsch at all but org.apache.sshd. That will work for sure (EGit/JGit uses Apache MINA sshd) but it may be (well, will be) a lot of work.
Re: RSEG1066 Negotiation Failed [message #1850760 is a reply to message #1850691] Wed, 16 March 2022 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrea Ciullo is currently offline Andrea CiulloFriend
Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for your suggestions.

Unfortunately I'm not such expert with SSH configuration and settings. Can you suggest me any online guide on how to set the Eclipse ssh configuration?
I saw that from tab "Window->Preferences->Network Connections->SSH2" I can configure change some features. Do you know which could be the right one to modify for?

Regarding the remote end demon, if I didn't get wrongly, it should be Dropbear.

Thank you again for your support.
Re: RSEG1066 Negotiation Failed [message #1855758 is a reply to message #1850760] Tue, 01 November 2022 17:55 Go to previous message
Lydia Johnson is currently offline Lydia JohnsonFriend
I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a fix for this?
Previous Topic:DEL key won't repeat
Next Topic:Issue with org.eclipse.jetty.security.jaspi/9.4.46.v20220331
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 18:09:21 GMT 2024