Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse and Team :: Basic Questions(Eclipse, Team)
Eclipse and Team :: Basic Questions [message #1849413] Tue, 18 January 2022 18:33 Go to next message
PETER HUMMON is currently offline PETER HUMMONFriend
Hi Eclipse People,

I'm an entry-level developer who has used Eclipse before, but never used the Team feature. I've been assigned to a work project where we use Team to version control project code. I've used command line SVN before, so I'm somewhat familiar with the basic concepts involved. But I have some fundamental questions about Eclipse and Team interact. (The documentation I've consulted online are either too brief or too expansive.)

To specify: A colleague walked me through how to clone a version of our project from my company's GitHub repository. The cloned code is running fine on my local instance of Eclipse. However, since working with the code, I look at the project in my Package Explorer (I'm using the "Java" Perspective) and now I noticed a little '>' character next to some of the resources, folders, packages, and classes. Hmmm.

Here's a crude recreation of what the project looks like in my Package Explorer:

> CompanyProjectA
     (Folder) src/main/java
     (Folder) > src/test/java
          (Package) > com.us.basic.tests
               (Class) ClassA.java
               (Class) > ClassB.java
               (Class) ClassC.java
               (Class) ClassD.java

I don't believe that those '>' were there when I started looking at the code. A Google search suggests that the '>' indicated a file that has been modified on the master copy since I cloned. i.e., I can infer that someone modified "ClassB.java" since I cloned. Is this correct?

If so, then I want to pull down the latest code. To do that, I believe I go to the Package Explorer. I right-click on the Project name, and then go to Team --> Pull. Or is it Team --> Pull...? or Team --> Fetch from Origin?

Finally, if I modify the code and I want to create my own branch up in the repo, how would I do that? UnderTeam --> Advanced, I see Rename Branch and Delete Branch, but not Create Branch

FYI, I'm using Eclipse IDE Version: 2021-12 (4.22.0) on a Windows 10 machine. Thank you.
Re: Eclipse and Team :: Basic Questions [message #1849414 is a reply to message #1849413] Tue, 18 January 2022 20:10 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
The > before "ClassB.java" indicates that this file is changed on your local disk. Most likely you changed it, not someone else. The ">" does not indicate that someone changed it upstream. The default decorations are explained in the EGit User's Guide, which is also available in the built-in help of Eclipse.

I recommend to take the time to work through some tutorials. git is different from SVN.

There are many tutorials on how to work with git in general. Try for instance this git tutorial. There's also a more specific Eclipse Git tutorial.
Previous Topic:Cannot connect to VM | Socket closed
Next Topic:Network Config Error on Install
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:25:12 GMT 2024