Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse installer can't find my jdk or jre
Eclipse installer can't find my jdk or jre [message #1847896] Thu, 11 November 2021 18:28 Go to next message
Dan Royer is currently offline Dan RoyerFriend
According to the installer it's version

plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.5.700.v20200207-2156.jar

I have OpenJDK 17 installed, among others.

I was trying to reinstall eclipse because my version suddenly stopped auto-completing anything in java.awt.*. I see from other threads here that java.awt.* is now built-out. so... what is the new hotness that everyone uses to make interfaces? I'm deep into GridBagConstraints.
  • Attachment: Capture.PNG
    (Size: 5.71KB, Downloaded 58 times)
Re: Eclipse installer can't find my jdk or jre [message #1847897 is a reply to message #1847896] Thu, 11 November 2021 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

You can fix that by modifying the values on the Type Filters preference page, once you have Eclipse open, of course. Unless
you're working with Java 8, it might be time to uninstall it.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse installer can't find my jdk or jre [message #1847900 is a reply to message #1847897] Thu, 11 November 2021 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Royer is currently offline Dan RoyerFriend
That's the thing - I have newer JRE/JDK, so why is the installer looking in the wrong place? IDK where to file a ticket.
Re: Eclipse installer can't find my jdk or jre [message #1847904 is a reply to message #1847900] Fri, 12 November 2021 05:43 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I don't know which installer you are using, but the latest ones contain a JRE so would not have the problem you show. The older installers look in the registry (but the Java vendors keep changing the keys under which they store the information such that an other installer can't find a newer JRE at a newer key location). The installers also look on your PATH and JAVA_HOME environment variables and is not finding a JRE there either. Perhaps it's finding stale entries in your registry or in those environment variables.

You can use this "latest" installer to install any older version of Eclipse if that's what you need to do:

http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/oomph/products/eclipse-inst-jre-win64.exe

But the problem you are trying to fix is easily addressed via Nitin's suggestion.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:java.awt package
Next Topic:Can anyone please help me fix this error - The jar of this class file belongs to container 'Junit4'
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:50:14 GMT 2024