Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » QVT-OML » Problems with color themes in Eclipse(Strange behaviour of color themes settings in Eclipse)
Problems with color themes in Eclipse [message #1840959] Thu, 29 April 2021 13:15 Go to next message
Antonio Cicchetti is currently offline Antonio CicchettiFriend
I start from here since maybe I am missing something really trivial, and/or this issue has been already reported and someone can suggest me a good pointer (I could not find anything about this).

So the main problem is that some of the editors in the modelling framework tend to have color schemes that are difficult to read. Due to this, I changed the color scheme from dark (system default) to classic. Now, this seems to work perfectly on the current instance of Eclipse, however when I run an Eclipse Application on top of the current one, I start having issues. Again, the color scheme is set to dark and I change it to classic, but in this case the color scheme is somehow broken/unusable. Some of the editors are kept with a dark background, while in other cases the font and background colours are the same and so the content of the views is totally unreadable. The only scheme that works in an acceptable way is the dark one, but again with some plug-ins like QVT or the default model editors the scheme is very demanding for the eyes due to similar foreground/background colours. I am attaching two screenshots so that you can understand what kind of mess I am talking about.

I also tried to manually change some of the colours for the editors, but I cannot improve this situation. Moreover, I tried to click all the possible restore defaults buttons in the preference page, but no one seems to bring back the classic theme as the one I have in the initial/base Eclipse instance.

Any help is highly appreciated,
Antonio
Re: Problems with color themes in Eclipse [message #1840999 is a reply to message #1840959] Fri, 30 April 2021 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

(When my computer terminal was a green on black 80 by 24 display CRT, I was a big fan of dark theme since the electron beam bled out to enlarge, rather than shrink, the letters.Since the advent of LCD/LED displays bleeding is not a concern and I find black on white very desirable and the converse quite hateful. I have only ever seen a couple of publications that were dark theme. They were so amateurish and difficult to read that I abandoned them immediately.)

When dark theme was introduced, it was touted as a platform solution for which everything would just work. Unfortunately that seems to be a misguided claim and at least every different editor support needs revisiting. Some such as QVTr may be usable as a consequence of a generic Xtext fix, but QVTo is an independent editor development leveraging lowish level Eclipse platform abstractions. In so far as these don't work on dark theme, you could try reporting some platform bugs, but the problems may be in QVTo tailoring so you could try reporting QVTo bugs. But since it isn't broken and we have many more important bugs to fix I cannot hold out any hope for a response better than helpWanted.

Bottom line: dark theme is not supported by QVTo except in so far as the platform support is perfect.

If changing themes gets you into an irreversible hole that is reproducible with just platform views and editors please raise a platform bug.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Problems with color themes in Eclipse [message #1841008 is a reply to message #1840999] Fri, 30 April 2021 11:53 Go to previous message
Antonio Cicchetti is currently offline Antonio CicchettiFriend
Dear Ed,
thanks a lot for your quick feedback and also for some nice memories (indeed I tried to set-up the QVT-o editor as a green font on black background but did not work).

Just to give some suggestions that others might find useful (since it seems at least unlikely that anyone will fix the issue), I solved the problem by changing the setting for the operating system (from dark theme to light theme). By doing this change the classic theme in eclipse is correctly shown also in the running instance. After this we could also assume that most probably some plug-ins mess-up eclipse settings with OS settings in the runtime environment.

Regards,
Antonio
Previous Topic:Define infix arithmetic operations for a custom class
Next Topic:M2M trasformation hel about MoWebA approach
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 23:05:29 GMT 2024