Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile?
Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833749] Fri, 23 October 2020 08:55 Go to next message
Minh Quan Pham is currently offline Minh Quan PhamFriend
I'm using Oomph with "User Storage Service" to synchronize eclipse preference between the machines quite Ok.
But I have a problem when I work for a different project that require different preference than my personal preference. In Oomph we don't have any kind of different "profile" to select.

I wonder if we will have this feature in the future? Or anyone has a solution for this?

Thanks.
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833802 is a reply to message #1833749] Sat, 24 October 2020 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
There are a couple of existing mechanisms you can use. If that "project" has a project setup, use a preference task in that project to set the preference differently. If it's adhoc, you can always use Navigate -> Open Setup -> Installation/Workspace to set a preference differently (using a preference task) for only that installation or only that workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833804 is a reply to message #1833802] Sat, 24 October 2020 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, seems my question is not clear enough. I means that for example I have a desktop at home and a desktop at work, if Oomph have multiple profile feature then I can have multiple profiles for different projects. At home, if I change any setting for project B, then next day at work, I should see the same setting at work's desktop for project B profile. But because Oomph has only kind of single profile, so I could only have one set of setting only.
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833809 is a reply to message #1833804] Sat, 24 October 2020 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the end, there is only one user.setup and the synchronization mechanism only can store things to there or fetch things from there. So no, there is not likely to be any mechanism for multiple different sets of preferences in the future.

Ed Merks
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833823 is a reply to message #1833809] Sun, 25 October 2020 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That so sad, from the web page of eclipse user storage, I see seems we can have multiple data there. I wish Oomph can support multiple profiles. One more step to touch the heaven.

Seems our competitor IntelliJ IDEA has that function that can store setting profile in Git repository and have multiple profiles... (I don't use IDEA, so I'm not sure that functionality, but seems so)
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833826 is a reply to message #1833823] Sun, 25 October 2020 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's open source so one can contribute the things for which one wishes, e.g.,

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=567929

But there are perhaps still other possibilities. E.g., if you define preference tasks in an Installation (or Workspace) of a Configuration, you can drag and drop these onto the installer. You can even put the preference tasks themselves in a Macro and store that in a Git repository and access them via a web link to the plain text repository content so that they update whenever you decide they should update (via a commit).

https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring#Macros_and_Macro_Expansion_Tasks

Perhaps it would help if I better understood your specific use case (i.e., problem) rather than what you generally feel is the best new feature to solve some problem; your solution sounds non-trivial to implement, involving some type of choice in many places in various dialogs, not to mention underlying additional code changes.

Ed Merks
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833827 is a reply to message #1833826] Sun, 25 October 2020 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for helping me until now. Perhaps the way I setup the scenario is incorrect as I have no experience with multiple projects in parallels. Better that I tell exactly what is the problem.

I have computer 1 with an eclipse for project A, just an example I have setting about tab is tab character. Then in computer 2 I have eclipse for project B with different setting such as tab is 4 space characters.
My need would be in computer 1, I also need to work with project B, but because it has different setting so I can't use that eclipse to work with project B. Or I would also need to work with project A in the computer 2.
Then the first question should be how can you deal with this correctly? The second question would be how can I have it synchronize the setting across eclipse in computer 1 and 2 for both project A and B. For example the next day when I work on computer 1, I decide add new setting for project A, such as print margin is 120. I would like to have that setting auto sync to computer 2 for project A as well.

Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833829 is a reply to message #1833827] Sun, 25 October 2020 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to be sure we're completely on the same "page". Firstly, I assume you are referring to the preference Editors -> Text Editors -> Displayed tab width, correct? Do project A and project B have associated Oomph setups? I ask that because of course a project setup can set this preference; but I think I was wrong earlier, i.e., I think that the user setup's preference task will override the one in the project even if the project has a task for that preference. I also ask because in general, via the "Show Advanced Properties" filter in the properties view, every task has a Restrictions reference that can be used to restrict that task to perform only when that scope is present, so it's possible to define a preference that applies only for project A or project B assuming those have setups defined...

Ed Merks
Re: Oomph synchronizer with multiple profile? [message #1833830 is a reply to message #1833829] Sun, 25 October 2020 09:48 Go to previous message
Quote:
Just to be sure we're completely on the same "page". Firstly, I assume you are referring to the preference Editors -> Text Editors -> Displayed tab width, correct?

Yes, correct. I don't want to limit just to that setting only. Should be any setting in Eclipse preference. But of course we can make thing simple that just get that one as an example.

Quote:
Do project A and project B have associated Oomph setups?

Currently no. All the rule/convention is in plain text.
Ex:
+ Tab indent is space and 4.
+ Print margin is 120
+ ....

Quote:
I ask that because of course a project setup can set this preference; but I think I was wrong earlier, i.e., I think that the user setup's preference task will override the one in the project even if the project has a task for that preference. I also ask because in general, via the "Show Advanced Properties" filter in the properties view, every task has a Restrictions reference that can be used to restrict that task to perform only when that scope is present, so it's possible to define a preference that applies only for project A or project B assuming those have setups defined...

Oh, that sounds like a solution. Sorry for my inexperience, how do you have a "project setup" to set that preference?

[Updated on: Sun, 25 October 2020 09:49]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Can Eclipse Installer continue when Repository host name is unknown?
Next Topic:Missing ciphers: SSLHandshakeException for https://eclipse-uc.sonarlint.org/compositeContent.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:49:33 GMT 2024