Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Issues with ResourceCreationTask(Suppressing the welcome page doesn't work. Escapting characters doesn't work.)
Issues with ResourceCreationTask [message #1831685] Wed, 26 August 2020 14:37 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I just started with creating an oomph installer and it worked well, but there are a lot of things that confuse me.
I'm trying to suppress the welcome screen.

In the Project Setup I have this:
</setupTask>
    <setupTask
      xsi:type="setup:ResourceCreationTask"
      targetURL="${workspace.location/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.prefs}">
    <content>
      eclipse.preferences.version=1
      showIntro=false
    </content>
  </setupTask>

I also have a WorkspaceTask in the products setup, so I'm prompted for workspace.
<setupTask
      xsi:type="setup:WorkspaceTask"
      id="workspace">
    <description>Your Workspace</description>
 </setupTask>

But the welcome page is of course shown during the first start, right before I'm prompted to enter the workspace path.

Another problem I have with ResourceCreationTask appears when I want to have "<" inside my content. It seems that < is interpreted as a special symbol. Is there a way to escape it?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 August 2020 14:58] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issues with ResourceCreationTask [message #1831691 is a reply to message #1831685] Wed, 26 August 2020 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Firstly, be sure you are using the latest version of the installer. If the one you are using shows that there are updates, update it first. Otherwise the format of the org.eclipse.ui.prefs might well be incorrect; did you check what that file looks like before the first launch?

I'm confused by your comment about the welcome page being shown before the prompt for a workspace path. If you're prompted for a workspace path, then the IDE isn't showing yet so there cannot be a welcome page...

Also note that if you start that IDE with a new workspace, the task will not run until after the workspace is already open so it cannot help suppress the welcome page.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Issues with ResourceCreationTask [message #1831706 is a reply to message #1831691] Thu, 27 August 2020 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Thanks for your reply.

Ed Merks wrote on Wed, 26 August 2020 16:36

I'm confused by your comment about the welcome page being shown before the prompt for a workspace path. If you're prompted for a workspace path, then the IDE isn't showing yet so there cannot be a welcome page...

You are right. I confused it with a prompt for another variable. Sorry for that.

Ok, I updated the installer first before proceeding.
The file is created and looks almost perfect:
eclipse.preferences.version=1
showIntro=false%

and the welcome page is not shown. I guess that didn't work before because of my confusion about different things... But I experience further problems with the ResourceCreationTask which probably show that I didn't understand some fundamental stuff.

Now I see this exception:

Performing Resource Creation /home/me/workspace-tmp-54321/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.prefs
Creating platform:/resource/home/me/workspace-tmp-54321/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.prefs
org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.Resource$IOWrappedException: Resource '/home' does not exist.
  at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl$PlatformResourceOutputStream.createContainer(PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl.java:80)
  at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.resource.impl.PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl$PlatformResourceOutputStream.createContainer(PlatformResourceURIHandlerImpl.java:73)

That path is obviously incorrect, but I don't understand why it is prefixed with /resource.
The stacktrace states that

((IFolder)container).create(force, keepHistory, progressMonitor);

throws an exception. But, as I mentioned before, the file does exist.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 August 2020 08:08] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Issues with ResourceCreationTask [message #1831710 is a reply to message #1831706] Thu, 27 August 2020 08:12 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
In principle it should be possible using -pluginCustomization which could be populated by an Eclipse Ini task:

https://help.eclipse.org/2020-06/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.platform.doc.isv%2Freference%2Fmisc%2Fruntime-options.html

But I believe that would replace the plugin_customization.ini of the product being installed. Of course if you have an actual custom product (that you build yourself presumably with Tycho), you should just do it in the product definition.

Here's an example of such a file:

https://git.eclipse.org/c/platform/eclipse.platform.git/tree/platform/org.eclipse.sdk/plugin_customization.ini

Note how the properties are qualified as a path so I think it would need to be org.eclipse.ui/showIntro=false

If I try this manually, i.e., add this before the -vmargs:
-pluginCustomization
plugin_customization.ini
and put this in that file in the same folder as the eclipse.ini:
org.eclipse.ui/showIntro=false
then the intro is not shown on a new workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:install my own eclipse IDE
Next Topic:Is it possible to use environmental variables in oomph?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:05:58 GMT 2024