Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Diagnosing update issue
Diagnosing update issue [message #1830014] Wed, 15 July 2020 20:34 Go to next message
Aleksei Airapetov is currently offline Aleksei AirapetovFriend
Hello,
I'm trying to solve yet another update issue with my RCP Product. The product is installed with .setup file which only contains the feature-based product itself.

One of the product's builds has problem with finding available updates when I specify p2 with newer version of the product in the setup file - as a result of "perform setup tasks" operation it just says that "no updates are available" and nothing more (there is no information about conflicting ius, etc). The update with this build only works when I explicitly specify version range of the product in the setup file that does not include current version of the product.

I also have a build of the same product that regularly finds updates and applies them.
The problem is that I can't understand how these two builds are fundamentally different - at first glance all they differ in is the build numbers of some features and plugins.

Using debugging, I was able to understand that the non-updating build "sees" the new version of the product, but in the end chooses the old one. But I couldn't figure out why, my research led me to internal p2 mechanisms which are using SAT4j library, which working principles are quite complicated, so I have not yet been able to understand the reason for such behavior.

So is there any different way to diagnose the update issue?
Re: Diagnosing update issue [message #1830034 is a reply to message #1830014] Thu, 16 July 2020 04:55 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, this sounds complicated and it sounds like you've already done a bunch of digging in the proper places. I would generally expect p2 to find the/a solution that really does updates if such a solution exists (is possible); after all that's what I generally see it doing. I wonder if something in org.eclipse.oomph.p2.internal.core.ProfileTransactionImpl.adjustProfileChangeRequest(IProfileChangeRequest, IProgressMonitor) might be creating a requirement with a range that excludes possibility to update. The logic here merges the requirements on what's already installed with the requirements specified in the p2 task...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Issue opening eclipse+installer URL on Kubuntu
Next Topic:Configuration with User Project?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:18:16 GMT 2024