Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse is not doing XML editing on existing XML files(Eclipse is not doing XML editing on existing XML files)
Eclipse is not doing XML editing on existing XML files [message #1828544] Thu, 11 June 2020 17:13 Go to next message
Katya Doersam is currently offline Katya DoersamFriend
When I create a new XML file and save it in Eclipse, I am able to access the XML editing tools immediately, but if I open the same file up the next day in a new instance of Eclipse, the XML editor no longer works as an XML editor but a text editor. It no longer does auto-completion of tags such as <plugin></plugin>. The text is black. It is missing the different colors that mark different pieces of the code. I checked to see if I was accidentally using the text editor instead of the XML editor but I was not. I tried closing the file and reopening, with the specification to open with the XML editor and it does not work. I have the XML Editor and Tools plugin installed. Any ideas?

Note: the plugin project I am using here is the hello world sample project provided by eclipse.
Re: Eclipse is not doing XML editing on existing XML files [message #1828547 is a reply to message #1828544] Thu, 11 June 2020 17:47 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Plug-in Manifest files, including the plugin.xml, need to be edited in the Plug-in Manifest Editor rather than the XML Editor. All other XML files should work just fine when opened in the XML Editor.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Thu, 11 June 2020 21:18]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Windows installation problem
Next Topic:Plug in source code
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 05 11:39:06 GMT 2020