Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » The Future - ARM CPU's(Eclipse support if Mac's switch from Intel )
The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1827336] Wed, 13 May 2020 09:18 Go to next message
David Garratt is currently offline David GarrattFriend
A few weeks back I looked for the latest release of Eclipse on a Raspberry Pi and concluded there was nothing newer than version 3.x

With all the rumours about Apple switching to their own risk CPU's what does this mean for Eclipse in the future and that platform - or indeed any non-Intel CPU?

If it's unlikely to be ported I might consider getting a Linux laptop when I'm next updating.

Sorry if this is the wrong forum group - there are so many to choose from.
Re: The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1827448 is a reply to message #1827336] Thu, 14 May 2020 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolf Theunissen is currently offline Rolf TheunissenFriend
Have a look at a similar question on the platform-dev mailing list:
https://www.eclipse.org/lists/platform-dev/msg01891.html
Re: The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1827459 is a reply to message #1827448] Thu, 14 May 2020 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently online Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Fedora for ARM has been building recent releases for years at this point.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1827463 is a reply to message #1827336] Fri, 15 May 2020 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Garratt is currently offline David GarrattFriend
Going back to my original question - does this mean that a version for a Raspberry pi would be easy to port now or more importantly a Apple version in the future if/when they switch CPUs - sorry if it's a daft question - not my area of expertise. What is eclipse written in itself ? Are plugins like window builder pro platform independent byte code or would they need recompiling for a different CPU ?

Thanks

Dave
Re: The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1827474 is a reply to message #1827463] Fri, 15 May 2020 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The majority of the Eclipse code is written in Java. As such, that code should run on any platform without modification.

Native code is used for some (core) parts, for instance SWT. There are currently different implementations for Linux/GTK, Windows and Mac OS, other platforms have been supported in the past. Also different CPU architectures are supported, currently x86 64-bit and Power 64-bit LE, other architectures have been supported in the past. For the current overview look at https://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?planurl=http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/plans/eclipse_project_plan_4_15.xml#target_environments
I expect that all major OSes on major Architectures will be supported by Eclipse.

Third parties can provide compiled binaries/ports for other platforms/architectures, such as Fedora does for ARM. When the target environment is close to the Eclipse supported platforms, porting should be easy, otherwise it is more involved.
Re: The Future - ARM CPU's [message #1830637 is a reply to message #1827474] Thu, 30 July 2020 09:10 Go to previous message
Bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=565690 has been opened to track progress on this.
Previous Topic:IStatusLineManger
Next Topic:MenuService WorkbenchContext/TrimmedWindowImpl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 10 12:50:23 GMT 2021