Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE(Download IDE)
Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1826520] Sun, 26 April 2020 14:12 Go to next message
Davin Thomas is currently offline Davin ThomasFriend
I haven't used eclipse in about a year and found it completely frustrating just trying to download a copy of the IDE. I don't need to use this particular tool however, I thought I'd give it a try due to nostalgia. What a mistake! Before I scrap the idea (of using it to code in Java) I was hoping to get some guidance regarding where to go online to get a good copy. I've already updated my java SDK but, I continue getting an error message about that being the issue.
Re: Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1826524 is a reply to message #1826520] Sun, 26 April 2020 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What was the message?

You'll find downloadable packages at https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1826530 is a reply to message #1826520] Sun, 26 April 2020 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Details, please:

- Which operating system?
- Which version of Java?
- java -version
- javac -version

Did you download the Eclipse installer suitable for your computer?

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1826533 is a reply to message #1826530] Sun, 26 April 2020 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
A common mistake is to install a 32 bit version of Java but the IDE needs a 64 bit version. If you use the installer, it will open a browser telling you install a 64 bit version; that might be annoying but it's necessary. If you just unzip a package it will simply not run until you install a 64 bit version of Java. Soon we'll be able to address this issue by making the installer available with a built-in JRE and being able to create an installation that uses a JRE available at Eclipse, if you don't already have an appropriate one on your machine:

https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.justj

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1862921 is a reply to message #1826520] Sat, 06 January 2024 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bryan Chance is currently offline Bryan ChanceFriend
I'm having a similar issue. No error messages. I can't find packages to download. I knew about Eclipse since I started to learn Java but have not really use it because I keep going in circles clicking on links trying to find the download that I'm looking for. I didn't even know about Window Builder until recently. I'm trying to find it.
The tools provided by Eclipse are incredibly useful and I appreciate all the folks who are involved in creating them. I would really love to use the Eclipse platform if I can find it.
Re: Why is it soooo difficult to SIMPLY download IDE [message #1862922 is a reply to message #1862921] Sat, 06 January 2024 18:52 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

What are you looking for, and as in my original reply, is it something other than what's listed on the packages download page?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Eclipse with a new UI in 2021.
Next Topic:Unhandled event loop exception
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:51:54 GMT 2024