Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Launcher unable to locate shared library
Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821104] Wed, 05 February 2020 16:10 Go to next message
Frank LloydFriend
I've been trying to install Eclipse for Java Developers on some lab computers for the county school system work in IT for. Once installed under a domain admin account it will launch fine. But when any other user tries to launch it with their standard domain account they get the message: "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library"

I have installed as a local admin, my domain admin account, and edited the properties for the shortcuts like I see recommended. I have spent about 6 hours total on this and have reached the end of the road. I've gone into the Eclipse directory properties security tab and granted full permissions to both all local users and all domain users. Still nada.

Any help to get this working wold be SO appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821126 is a reply to message #1821104] Thu, 06 February 2020 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Did you install using the installer or by unpacking a packaged download?

If you used the installer, read the information (available via the installer's menu, Ask a Question), about the bundle pool.

https://www.eclipse.org/setups/installer/question/

I.e., either you should disable the shared bundle pool or you should ensure its folder is visible and read-only. The installation folder itself should also be visible and read-only.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821296 is a reply to message #1821126] Mon, 10 February 2020 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank LloydFriend
An exe option was the only option I recall being given. After installing a box comes up with sever components you can choose. I chose the Java for Developers option and checked the box to Install for All Users. The shortcut appears on the desktops for different users that log in, but they get the error message I attached.

Is there a different way I should be installing on PCs that have multiple different domain users logging in with domain rights?

I'll check on the read-only thing.

Thanks!
Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821297 is a reply to message #1821126] Mon, 10 February 2020 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank LloydFriend
Again, sorry for the multiple replies. Screen froze.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2020 14:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821299 is a reply to message #1821126] Mon, 10 February 2020 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank LloydFriend
An exe option was the only option I recall being given. After installing a box comes up with sever components you can choose. I chose the Java for Developers option and checked the box to Install for All Users. The shortcut appears on the desktops for different users that log in, but they get the error message I attached.

Is there a different way I should be installing on PCs that have multiple different domain users logging in with domain rights?

I'll check on the read-only thing.

Thanks!
Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1821301 is a reply to message #1821126] Mon, 10 February 2020 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Frank LloydFriend
Sorry for the multiple replies.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 February 2020 14:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1862995 is a reply to message #1821104] Wed, 10 January 2024 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mohammad Bilal is currently offline Mohammad BilalFriend
Hello,

I know this is a super old post, but I've also run into the exact same problem as yours.

Currently working as IT Support for a University. Downloaded Eclipse in the admin domain account. Imaged it to all the other PCs. However, Eclipse isn't available in the student accounts. Tried many things, including the exact same things you listed, yet no answer.

Eclipse is being downloaded into the Local disk, but isn't accessible to the students for some reason (as it pops up the same error message that you've shared in that screenshot).

Were you able to fix your problem? If so, please do share how you were able to solve this issue.
Re: Launcher unable to locate shared library [message #1863268 is a reply to message #1821104] Sun, 21 January 2024 06:23 Go to previous message
Thiagoros sharma is currently offline Thiagoros sharmaFriend
Frank Lloyd wrote on Wed, 05 February 2020 16:10
I've been trying to install Eclipse for Java Developers on some lab computers for the county school system work in IT for. Once installed under a domain admin account it will launch fine. But when any other user tries to launch it with their standard domain account they get the message: "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library"

I have installed as a local admin, my domain admin account, and edited the properties for the shortcuts like I see recommended. I have spent about 6 hours total on this and have reached the end of the road. I've gone into the Eclipse directory properties security tab and granted full permissions to both all local users and all domain users. Still nada.

Any help to get this working wold be SO appreciated.

Thanks!

I realize how frustrated you are with Eclipse installation. The "companion shared library" problem usually implies a directory or permissions issue. Make that Eclipse is installed in an area that is accessible to all users. Check the Eclipse.ini file for the proper paths and configurations. In addition, inspect the Eclipse log files for additional particular error information. Antivirus software might potentially cause issues, so you may wish to temporarily disable it during installation. Finally, consider discussing your problem in relevant forums or contacting Eclipse support for specific assistance. Troubleshooting software installs can be difficult, but collaborative efforts can often lead to solutions.
Previous Topic:Accessibility - use with Windows High Contrast Mode
Next Topic:Eclipse based graphical editor framework selection
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 07:34:50 GMT 2024