Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse-cdt editor can't find include files(After restart Eclipse editor can't find includes)
Eclipse-cdt editor can't find include files [message #1818101] Thu, 05 December 2019 23:35 Go to next message
Gary Roach is currently offline Gary RoachFriend
About a year and a half ago there was a similar post but not identical.
OS Debian Linux 10
Desk top KDE
Eclipse-CDT version 2019-6
CPU AMD-64, 4 processors

I have been having trouble with Eclipse-CDT for some time. I am working on various Deal.II FEA tutorials. I first run the "cmake -G"Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" -DDEAL_II_DIR=/usr/include/deal.II ." on the command line (per the debian man page instruction) to produce a Makefile and an Eclipse project. At this point, I can either import the project as "Existing code as make file project " and build the tutorial in Eclipse or I can run make on the command line and then do the import. Both seem to work. After the import the Indexer runs for quit a while and everything seems to work fine. That is until I close and restart Eclipse. At that point the Editor can no longer find the Include files. My PATH variable contains a path to /usr/include/Deal.II. The "C++ include path and symbols" also includes the /usr/include/Deal.II path. I have tried about everything that I can think of to fix this but to no avail. It is obvious that the compiler can find the includes , whether compiing through Eclipse or the command line. All of the include files are stored at /usr/include/deal.II.

Many of the features of the Eclipse Editor no longer work after this problem appears which is very annoying. If anyone can shed light on this problem, it will be sincerely appreciated.

Please don't ask for the include files. Deal.II is a monster.

Gary R.
Re: Eclipse-cdt editor can't find include files [message #1818103 is a reply to message #1818101] Fri, 06 December 2019 00:08 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
I've never used CMake to generate CDT projects
but the current version of CDT is 9.9.
Version 4.0 may not work.

You can create a CMake project in the current Eclipse
then add to it.

CMake generated a makefile for you so its content is your responsibility.

The best place to add paths for the Indexer is with
Project --> Properties --> C/C++ General --> Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc. --> Entries tab --> CDT User Setting Entries

Paths and Symbols is supposed to combine the definitions needed for Managed Build (which doesn't apply to a Makefile project) and definitions needed for the Indexer. You can use it in Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc. by enabling the Managed Build Setting Provider.

I don't use it myself but specify everything needed with Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc.

Another thing to consider is that the Indexer can take a long time to run.
I have one project that is enormous in terms of resources and the Indexer
seems to forget a lot between Eclipse starts and is constantly rebuilding.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 December 2019 00:41]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Eclipse not copying volume to Docker
Next Topic:Modify Makefile for cross compiling with Xenomai
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:25:20 GMT 2024