Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Builder won't build(My Sass builder doesn't build automatically the way it used to)
Builder won't build [message #1817169] Sun, 17 November 2019 19:01 Go to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
I'm not a newcomer to Eclipse, I just can't figure out what other forum to put this.

I've been using SASS occasionally this past year to create CSS in SCSS format and then build it automatically into CSS format whenever I save changes to the SCSS file. I do that via a builder that I add to each project that uses CSS. (In other words, if a project is going to involve CSS, I create folders entitled css and scss, then right-click on the project, choose Properties, then Builders, and create a new Builder called SASS to compile the SCSS into CSS whenever the scss file is saved.)

That has worked very well all year. But now, the auto-building isn't happening: I save the edits to the scss file and nothing happens. The builder is set to build "after a clean" and "during auto-builds". There's no error message or any sign of trouble: the builder just fails to build. I can make it build again by restarting Eclipse but it doesn't build more than once or twice before failing to build on the next save.

I have no idea how to sort this out. Can anyone advise me on this?
Re: Builder won't build [message #1817178 is a reply to message #1817169] Mon, 18 November 2019 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I assume that Project -> Build Automatically is check-marked. Can you share what the .project file looks like? Use the explorer view's view menu (Filters... or Filters and Customization...) and uncheck the one for .* resources to see such "hidden" files/folders. That might help us understand where you builder is coming from.

Also check the Error view to see that there aren't any exceptions during the build.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Builder won't build [message #1817180 is a reply to message #1817169] Mon, 18 November 2019 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Are you editing the original file with an editor inside Eclipse, or an external editor? Is the workspace set to refresh automatically?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2019 05:28]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Builder won't build [message #1817227 is a reply to message #1817178] Mon, 18 November 2019 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reinhardt Christiansen is currently offline Reinhardt ChristiansenFriend
Thank you, both!

It turns out that the "Build Automatically" option was NOT checked. (I'm not sure how that happened; I don't think I've touched that setting in *years*. I couldn't even FIND that setting first because it had been so long since I'd been there!)

Now that the option is checked, my builder translates .scss to .css every time I save an edit to the .scss file.

Thanks again!

By the way, is there any way to copy my SASS builder from one project to another? Several of my projects use scss/css files and there are enough settings and parameters to write that it's a bit tedious to hand-type them in each project so that they match the previous project (aside from minor changes in the path). If I could either share a SASS builder across all projects (with possible local overrides to paths) or easily clone a builder from one project to another, that would be quite convenient. (Otherwise, I suppose I'll just do some screen prints of the relevant panels, put them in a document somewhere, and then imitate them each time I add a SASS builder to the project.)

[Updated on: Mon, 18 November 2019 16:46]

Re: Builder won't build [message #1817238 is a reply to message #1817227] Tue, 19 November 2019 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
You can copy and paste XML snippets from the .project file of one project to the .project file of another project. But do so carefully with a good understanding what's in those files (often a builder will require that the project have a particular nature as well) and without corrupting the XML.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Builder won't build [message #1817957 is a reply to message #1817227] Tue, 03 December 2019 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mary  Jones is currently offline Mary JonesFriend
Reinhardt Christiansen wrote on Mon, 18 November 2019 16:40
Thank you, both!

It turns out that the "Build Automatically" option was NOT checked. (I'm not sure how that happened; I don't think I've touched that setting in *years*. I couldn't even FIND that setting first because it had been so long since I'd been there!)

Now that the option is checked, my builder translates .scss to .css every time I save an edit to the .scss file.

Thanks again!

By the way, is there any way to copy my SASS builder rapidessay from one project to another? Several of my projects use scss/css files and there are enough settings and parameters to write that it's a bit tedious to hand-type them in each project so that they match the previous project (aside from minor changes in the path). If I could either share a SASS builder across all projects (with possible local overrides to paths) or easily clone a builder from one project to another, that would be quite convenient. (Otherwise, I suppose I'll just do some screen prints of the relevant panels, put them in a document somewhere, and then imitate them each time I add a SASS builder to the project.)

Absolutelly agree, I just had the same issues and thanks to this thread I was able to fix it.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 December 2019 15:41]

Re: Builder won't build [message #1853678 is a reply to message #1817957] Wed, 13 July 2022 11:13 Go to previous message
sarah baranowski is currently offline sarah baranowskiFriend
Did you solve the problem? Cause I have the same one and the recomendations don't work...
Previous Topic:Maven Integration Issue
Next Topic:Client-side Java is dead and rotted beyond recognition, so why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 13:33:15 GMT 2024