Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Compiling Eclipse for Raspberry Pi (Pi4, armhf, etc)
Compiling Eclipse for Raspberry Pi (Pi4, armhf, etc) [message #1808922] Thu, 04 July 2019 15:34 Go to next message
Daniel Sendula is currently offline Daniel SendulaFriend
Hi guys,

Now raspberry pi4 is out and we have 4GB of memory (and with attached SSD over 2GBit/s throughput to filesystem) it become quite capable running as a proper desktop computer. As part of setting it up I decided to go with Eclipse as Java IDE on it but found out that only Eclipse 3.8 was 'provided' in distro (Raspbian) and even then it doesn't really work properly.

After learning how (old page talking about R4_4 tag or was it R4_4_maintenance branch?) I gave it a go. Several times over with different tag/branches with -Dnative or without and each time it failed with different errors.

I've noticed that arm disappeared from SWT - between R4_11 and R4_12 (reason I stayed at R4_11 _maintenance branch)...

So, my question is: does anyone know what is needed and now to build it up from scratch on ARM platform?
Re: Compiling Eclipse for Raspberry Pi (Pi4, armhf, etc) [message #1809248 is a reply to message #1808922] Fri, 12 July 2019 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have I got to the wrong place? Is this the forum where one can get somehow in touch to people who are maintaining Eclipse at all?

- - - -

It could have saved me a couple of long evenings just to discover that Eclipse project dropped support for 32bin linux (and otherwise 32bit OS). I've found it hard way going down the method signatures of callbacks needed for SWT.

Does anyone know would I have better luck with R4_8 or should I go even to earlier version to be able to recompile in a way it can run (SWT to start with) on Raspbian (32bit at the moment)
Re: Compiling Eclipse for Raspberry Pi (Pi4, armhf, etc) [message #1809320 is a reply to message #1809248] Sat, 13 July 2019 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This is similar to this recent discussion on this mailing list:

https://www.eclipse.org/lists/platform-dev/msg01772.html

You can subscribe and post questions of this detailed developer-oriented nature there.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Compiling Eclipse for Raspberry Pi (Pi4, armhf, etc) [message #1809332 is a reply to message #1809320] Sat, 13 July 2019 09:59 Go to previous message
That's it! Great. Thanks. :)
BTW I've asked Torkild for help at the same time, so I suspect it what sparked his curiosity...
Previous Topic:Aggregation Not Displaying
Next Topic: launch a Jenkins slave running off a docker image that runs on my
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:55:21 GMT 2024