Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2
Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1797178] Sat, 27 October 2018 01:49 Go to next message
Rafael Rodriguez is currently offline Rafael RodriguezFriend
I have been using 'Eclipse IDE for Java Developers' for several months and suddenly Eclipse is not able to open anymore.

When I try to open it I got these error messages in sequence:
1. Error opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'
2. Error: could not find java.dll
3. Error: could not find Java SE Runtime Environment
4. <very long text shown in the picture attached>

I have searched on the internet a solution for this problems and I have done so far but the problem persists:

a. Reinstall Java (jdk-11.0.1_windows-x64_bin.exe)

b. check windows registry and I noticed such 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment' doesn't exist. I found these
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\JDK
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\JDK\11.0.1
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\JDK\11.0.1\MSI

c. on CMD I got this
C:\>java -version
Error: opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.

I appreciate any help to solve this issue.

Thank you
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1797195 is a reply to message #1797178] Sat, 27 October 2018 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You appear to have a corrupted version of java installed. I can't be sure of the exact issue, but I would suspect a failed uninstall of an older version or some conflict when installing a new version. From the log file you posted, the java executable being run is C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe. This is giving the first three error messages that you list. Searching the internet for this path name seems to indicate that Oracle started using this location with Java 8. It seems its purpose is to use the registry to locate the actual VM to run. Eclipse runs in the java VM, so it won't be able to run until java can be started cleanly. I would focus on getting the java -version command to run successfully. After that, you can move on to getting Eclipse running again.

I'm not sure what you need to do to fix the problem. Perhaps you can check installed software to see if there are old Java versions listed. Maybe an uninstall of any java versions (both jdk and jre) followed by a reinstall of the one you want to use will help.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm not very familiar with Java installation issues.
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1797202 is a reply to message #1797195] Sat, 27 October 2018 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rafael Rodriguez is currently offline Rafael RodriguezFriend
Hi all.

Just in case somebody faces the same problem, I managed to solve it.

1) Somehow, Java Runtime Environment got uninstalled from my PC. I installed it BUT I still faced a lot of problems because of the JRE installation file I got by default was for Win 32b (it could be installed without problems) but that generated a mismatch between JavaRE and Eclipse and JDK. So please be sure you installed all of the same time (32b or 64b)

Lack of Java Runtime Environment gives this on CMD
C:\>java -version
Error: opening registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'
Error: could not find java.dll
Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment.

2) I reinstalled JDK for 64b

After that, Eclipse started-up as before.

I hope this can help
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1861879 is a reply to message #1797195] Thu, 09 November 2023 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petre  Mocanu is currently offline Petre MocanuFriend
David Wegener wrote on Sat, 27 October 2018 15:38
You appear to have a corrupted version of java installed. I can't be sure of the exact issue, but I would suspect a failed uninstall of an older version or some conflict when installing a new version. From the log file you posted, the java executable being run is C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe. This is giving the first three error messages that you list. Searching the internet for this path name seems to indicate that Oracle started using this location with Java 8. It seems its purpose is to use the registry to locate the actual VM to run. Eclipse runs in the java VM, so it won't be able to run until java can be started cleanly. I would focus on getting the java -version command to run successfully. After that, you can move on to getting Eclipse running again.

I'm not sure what you need to do to fix the problem. Perhaps you can check installed software to see if there are old Java versions listed. Maybe an uninstall of any java versions (both jdk and jre) followed by a reinstall of the one you want to use will help.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I'm not very familiar with Java installation issues.

You know, I've been where you are - frustrated with my computer not working correctly andJava errors getting in the way. It seems like you've run into one of those nasty corrupted Java issues, based on the error messages you described.
When I looked up that particular file path it was trying to run from, it sounded really familiar - I remember Oracle changing things up with Java 8 and using that weird ProgramData folder that always seemed to cause problems. No wonder your Eclipse wasn't launching!
The thing is, sometimes you just need to do a total cleanup and fresh start with Java. I know it's a pain to uninstall and reinstall everything, but in my experience, that's usually the quickest way to clear out all the old corrupted files and configure it properly.
I'd also definitely check for any other programs you don't need taking up space; you never know what kind of junk might be interfering. And don't forget to scan for viruses just to be safe - the last thing you want is some malware sneaking in there.
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1861880 is a reply to message #1861879] Thu, 09 November 2023 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Your response is rather late after the question and sounds somewhat synthetic. It's your first post. Interesting to see what post comes next.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1861893 is a reply to message #1861880] Fri, 10 November 2023 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petre  Mocanu is currently offline Petre MocanuFriend
Ed Merks wrote on Thu, 09 November 2023 22:21
Your response is rather late after the question and sounds somewhat synthetic. It's your first post. Interesting to see what post comes next.

I'm still learning, so I appreciate your feedback. I'll try to be more timely with my responses in the future.
Re: Eclipse IDE for Java Developers doesn't start-up. Exit code 2 [message #1862113 is a reply to message #1797195] Mon, 13 November 2023 18:44 Go to previous message
Wladyslaw Gorski is currently offline Wladyslaw GorskiFriend
David Wegener wrote on Sat, 27 October 2018 15:38

Dealing with Java issues is so frustrating. I've been there - it's the worst when a program refuses to run. This sounds like my issue years ago at Andersen. An upgrade must have broken the uninstall. I got errors launching anything Java. Clearly an older Java 8 installed instead of the new one. That path brings back memories. Config files probably still conflict.
You have to purge all Java and do a totally clean reinstall. Uninstalling isn't enough - everything must go. A fresh reinstall is the best plan. It's a pain to reinstall, but sometimes you gotta nuke it. I hope reinstalling works like for me - corrupted installs are the worst. Fingers crossed it's resolved!

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2023 18:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Create new command which does not exist in Preferences Keys
Next Topic:Error in starting eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:46:55 GMT 2024