Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Eclipse Photon Incredibly Laggy and Unusable(Eclipse Photon PHP IDE running on Windows 10 is incredibly laggy and basically unusable)
Eclipse Photon Incredibly Laggy and Unusable [message #1796058] Thu, 04 October 2018 14:47 Go to next message
Developer Developer is currently offline Developer DeveloperFriend
Does anyone else have issues with the Eclipse Photon IDE being incredibly laggy? I had a previous version of Eclipse running on a 5 year old Windows 7 machine used to develop the same projects that was running smoothly. Since recently upgrading to a Windows 10 machine (with better specs) and using the latest Eclipse IDE, developing on the same projects, it's basically unusable at this point due to all the lag and related issues.

My current setup is:
Windows 10 64-bit OS
AMD PRO 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM
Eclipse IDE for PHP Developers, PHoton Release (4.8.0)
Developing CodeIgniter 3 projects

What I'm experiencing is:
- Project Explorer folders slow when expanding
- Typing in the files editor, there is a noticeable delay
- Holding down the left/right/backspace keys to navigate the text editor is laggy (tapping the left/right arrow keys quickly is faster than holding those keys down)
- Had to shut off the auto-suggest as it was taking upwards of 20 to 30 seconds to complete, if it completed at all and did not result in a process timeout error
- Scrolling the text editor on large (thousand line or so) files, the line numbers on the left hand side of the tab pane would take dozens of seconds to refresh, or would just freeze and not refresh at all.
- Doing a ctrl-f to open or focus on the find window would take multiple attempts or upwards of 20 to 30 seconds

I can keep going, but basically upgrading to a new computer with a newer operating system and better specs, the latest version of the Eclipse Photon PHP IDE is basically unusable for me at this point.

Any suggestions or debugging tips for this?

Thanks.
Re: Eclipse Photon Incredibly Laggy and Unusable [message #1796486 is a reply to message #1796058] Mon, 15 October 2018 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dawid Pakula is currently offline Dawid PakulaFriend
At first try upgrade to 2018.09 (current release). Later please enable UI responsiveness logging( Settings => General => UI Responsiveness Monitoring).
This feature add stacktrace into eclipse logs when detect UI freeze. Logs are available at Window => Show View => Other => Error Log.

Re: Eclipse Photon Incredibly Laggy and Unusable [message #1801236 is a reply to message #1796486] Tue, 15 January 2019 16:56 Go to previous message
Developer Developer is currently offline Developer DeveloperFriend
Downloading the latest version of Eclipse (Dec 2018) fixed the lag issues. Guess it was an issue with the specific [latest] version available at the time. Thanks.
Previous Topic:Jump to errors
Next Topic:SPL Classes not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:06:34 GMT 2024