Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python(Eclipse-Package for Python)
What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1792902] Wed, 25 July 2018 13:27 Go to next message
Tobias Schäfer is currently offline Tobias SchäferFriend
Dear Eclipse-Team,

I wanna start programming Python and nowhere I can find which Eclipse-Version and which Package I should using for.
I have already downloaded the Eclipse version PHOTON.
Is this okay?
And which package is the best for Python programming?

Thank you so much!
Tobi
Re: What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1792979 is a reply to message #1792902] Thu, 26 July 2018 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Open your Eclipse and from the Help menu open Eclipse Marketplace.
Put PyDev into the search box and install the package.

You'll need a Python Interpreter/compiler package for your operating system, too.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1793048 is a reply to message #1792979] Mon, 30 July 2018 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Tauno Voipio,

thank you very much for help!
I know, that I have to install PyDev from the Marketplace.
My question is, what Eclipse package I need or doesn't make it any difference if I have Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers or Eclipse IDE for Eclipse Committers or ...?

Which compiler/interpreter would you prefer?

I will say THANK YOU for help!

Tobias
Re: What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1793063 is a reply to message #1793048] Mon, 30 July 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse is like a LEGO base and plenty of different blocks to put on it.

My base setup is for C/C++ development (CDT), and added with Java, Web tools, Python, and plenty of others. If you have the base and the additional plugins for the task at hand, it will run OK.

The Java Developers setup is pretty good for a base. When installing Java, please remember to get the whole Development Kit (JDK, not only JRE).

I'm running Eclipse on MAC OS X and Linux. The Pythons there are what were provided with the operating systems. Sorry, I have not touched Windows since XP, cannot help there.

--

-TV

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1793165 is a reply to message #1793063] Tue, 31 July 2018 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dear Tauno Voipio,

thank you very much for your help.
I installed the IDE for Eclipse Committers.
I hope I can use this for Python programming?
If you say that this base isn't ideal, I will delete it and install the IDE for C/C++ Developers.
My girlfriend would like to program her Arduino in C, so the IDE for C/C++ Developers is maybe the best solution, isn't it?
If there is a opportunity to program C with the base IDE for Eclipse Committers, for instance through install a plugin/module for C/C++ then I will do this.

Sorry for all my questions :)
But I use Eclipse for the first time and all my friends said, that it could be tricky by finding the right package and plugins.

Thank you!
Yours faithfully
Tobias
Re: What Eclipse-Version and which package would you recommend for Python [message #1793224 is a reply to message #1793165] Wed, 01 August 2018 18:46 Go to previous message
Hello Tobias,

The IDE for Eclipse Committers is actually for developing plugins to extend Eclipse, but it will do. Eclipse for Java Developers had been enough. Just remember to add PyDev and the Python base machinery to it.

C/C++ Developers Toolkit (CDT) is needed for Arduino, and there is a special add-on for Arduinos as well, but I have no experience on that path.

For ARM Arduinos you need also a suitable cross-C++ toolkit for ARM, and for AVR Arduinos ditto for AVR.

Good luck, just do not give up

---

TV

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Project Explorer is constantly reorganising
Next Topic:Eclipse and JavaFX
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 08:31:02 GMT 2024