Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp."
Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778304] Tue, 12 December 2017 23:22 Go to next message
H Johnson is currently offline H JohnsonFriend
Hi,

Did a fresh install from the Debian repo package: "eclipse-pydev"

Got Welcome tab showing Overview screen.

When I click on Workbench basics. I get:

Quote:

HTTP ERROR: 500
Problem accessing /help/index.jsp. Reason:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/InstanceManager
--------------------
Powered by jetty://

Tried Help | Check for Updates, and some were done. But after a reboot ran into the same issue again.

It seems that I can't get to any help page, not even from the Help menu.

The single change I made when installing was to specify a new path in /home/howard/eclipse/workspace/ rather than in the default of /home/howard/workspace/ Not sure if that could make any difference or not.

So how do I fix this so I can try eclipse out?

Thanks,

My system: linux 4.9.0-4-amd64, Debian 9.3. / Cinnamon 3.2.7
Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778308 is a reply to message #1778304] Wed, 13 December 2017 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Eclipse.org does not build packages specific to any Linux distribution. Unless something has changed, Debian features a version over 5 years old, and a lack of contributors to bring it up to date or fix packaging problems. You should get a newer version from http://download.eclipse.org , and then install PyDev as a plug-in as documented at http://www.pydev.org/download.html .

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Wed, 13 December 2017 00:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778312 is a reply to message #1778308] Wed, 13 December 2017 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
H Johnson is currently offline H JohnsonFriend
Thanks. I'll try it. Appreciate the help.

Perhaps someone should just ask Debian to remove it from their repo. I'm seeing:

eclipse
Version: 3.8.1
Build id: debbuild

Also I read here after asking my Q, that eclipse doesn't support openjdk. If that is the case I would think a simple error message would appear at program startup to say that is an issue that needs to be fixed and how to fix it.

Thanks again.
Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778314 is a reply to message #1778312] Wed, 13 December 2017 04:28 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On Linux, for the current supported release, it's one of the tested JVMs.

https://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=eclipse#target_environments

Personally, I'd hope that a fan of Debian could dedicate the time to update their package, and keep it updated. Even if that meant just adapting the techniques Fedora uses.

Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Audio in Birt Report
Next Topic: managing permissions for netsuite scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jan 17 09:29:34 GMT 2018