Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp."
Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778304] Tue, 12 December 2017 23:22 Go to next message
H Johnson is currently offline H JohnsonFriend
Hi,

Did a fresh install from the Debian repo package: "eclipse-pydev"

Got Welcome tab showing Overview screen.

When I click on Workbench basics. I get:

Quote:

HTTP ERROR: 500
Problem accessing /help/index.jsp. Reason:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tomcat/InstanceManager
--------------------
Powered by jetty://

Tried Help | Check for Updates, and some were done. But after a reboot ran into the same issue again.

It seems that I can't get to any help page, not even from the Help menu.

The single change I made when installing was to specify a new path in /home/howard/eclipse/workspace/ rather than in the default of /home/howard/workspace/ Not sure if that could make any difference or not.

So how do I fix this so I can try eclipse out?

Thanks,

My system: linux 4.9.0-4-amd64, Debian 9.3. / Cinnamon 3.2.7
Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778308 is a reply to message #1778304] Wed, 13 December 2017 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Eclipse.org does not build packages specific to any Linux distribution. Unless something has changed, Debian features a version over 5 years old, and a lack of contributors to bring it up to date or fix packaging problems. You should get a newer version from http://download.eclipse.org , and then install PyDev as a plug-in as documented at http://www.pydev.org/download.html .

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform

[Updated on: Wed, 13 December 2017 00:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778312 is a reply to message #1778308] Wed, 13 December 2017 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
H Johnson is currently offline H JohnsonFriend
Thanks. I'll try it. Appreciate the help.

Perhaps someone should just ask Debian to remove it from their repo. I'm seeing:

eclipse
Version: 3.8.1
Build id: debbuild

Also I read here after asking my Q, that eclipse doesn't support openjdk. If that is the case I would think a simple error message would appear at program startup to say that is an issue that needs to be fixed and how to fix it.

Thanks again.
Re: Fresh install "HTTP ERROR: 500 Problem accessing /help/index.jsp." [message #1778314 is a reply to message #1778312] Wed, 13 December 2017 04:28 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

On Linux, for the current supported release, it's one of the tested JVMs.

https://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=eclipse#target_environments

Personally, I'd hope that a fan of Debian could dedicate the time to update their package, and keep it updated. Even if that meant just adapting the techniques Fedora uses.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Audio in Birt Report
Next Topic: managing permissions for netsuite scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:21:15 GMT 2024