Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Pleased with Eclipse(Found out how to compile c++17 with filesystem TS)
Pleased with Eclipse [message #1764764] Fri, 02 June 2017 07:25 Go to next message
David Saunders is currently offline David SaundersFriend
Eclipse Neon (4.6.3)
Linux Fedora 25
gcc 7.1.0
clang 5.0 (upstream)

Hello all,

I have been using Eclipse for 2 days now and am generally pleased with the experience so far. I had been using QtCreator and KDevelop, they were fine for C++, but Eclipse seems to be much easier with multiple languages such as Dlang Python etc. I like the idea of installing plugins, and I especially like the Install wizard.

I have had some issues though, the first being getting C++17 to work. Eventually I figured out that one has to change settings in 2 places, as per this:https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#CDT_does_not_recognize_C.2B.2B11_features

I really think that should be made more obvious in the documentation and in the UI: one of the main priorities for a programmer is to specify which compiler and it's standard and options. It was easy to find the compiler settings, but the realisation of needing to change stuff elsewhere was much more of a pain. Ideally,if one changes the compiler settings, the settings for the indexer should change automatically: IMO it makes sense for these things to go together.

Perhaps the UI for global compiler settings could be improved too? Maybe the same interface as the existing Project compiler settings, and an option in the project to use the global setting; or import the global setting so the user can then make changes from there.

Another minor thing, the indexer doesn't seem to be aware of c++17 fold expressions. It does compile though. I did have the exact same problem with QtCreator and KDevelop.

template<typename T, typename ... Args>
void ListFiles(std::vector<T>& Wildcards, Args&&... args) {
	std::size_t num_matches { 0 };

( Wildcards.emplace_back ( args ), ...); // the fold expression causes a complaint about syntax error

Overall, I am pleased with Eclipse - congratulations to the development team - Well Done !

[Updated on: Fri, 02 June 2017 16:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Pleased with Eclipse [message #1764828 is a reply to message #1764764] Fri, 02 June 2017 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Thanks! On behalf of the dozens (hundreds?) of committers and contributors it is nice to hear some positive feedback.

I agree with you about the C++ version support and that it can be difficult for users to find the right settings. What is really needed there is someone to contribute those updates. Some of the third-parties that build on top of CDT as a framework (e.g. https://www.cevelop.com/) do indeed solve this problem better AFAICT.

As for the C++17, it is not supported yet by the IDE. Nathan Ridge, one of the main contributors to newer language support in CDT has recently written an article about this: https://www.eclipse.org/community/eclipse_newsletter/2017/april/article3.php -- The summary is that new C++ language features are being added to CDT all the time, the Oxygen (CDT 9.3 - releasing in a few weeks) has many bug fixes and new features supported, such as support for two new C++14 language features: return type deduction and generic lambdas (see https://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/NewIn93#Parser).
Re: Pleased with Eclipse [message #1764865 is a reply to message #1764828] Fri, 02 June 2017 16:46 Go to previous message
David Saunders is currently offline David SaundersFriend
Thanks Jonah for your reply and the links :+)

I am not to stressed about the c++17 support, it hasn't been out very long, and the code compiles, so it is not so bad.

I will look forward to the Oxygen release :+)

Of much more import is big problems with Egit and version control in general, but I will make a post there.

Thanks again for your advice, and have an enjoyable weekend :+)

Previous Topic:[ESP-IDF] No cross-gcc option
Next Topic:Can no longer set breakpoints in Eclipse IDE / CDT Neon.3 with MinGW-64 (Posix) on Windows 10
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:27:07 GMT 2024