Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Post-Buildstep no .bin file(Post-Build is not the final step)
Post-Buildstep no .bin file [message #1749477] Wed, 07 December 2016 08:50 Go to next message
Foo Bar is currently offline Foo BarFriend
Hi,
I am stuck here and cant realy find any solution that works. Ive been stuck on this for days.
I am using eclipse neon with CDT and working on ARM project.
I specified a post build command to start batchfile to run an exe file. But the exe can not find the binary file, because the binary file is only generated after the exe has finished. I already treid to start the exe via batchfile and "start" command but that simply kills the exe when the build process is done. So I need to run my command after the bin file is generated.
How can I achieve this? It seems a little strange that the post build step is not post at all.
Thanks
Re: Post-Buildstep no .bin file [message #1749500 is a reply to message #1749477] Wed, 07 December 2016 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Please post the Build Output from the console to help us understand the problem. Perhaps a screenshot of the settings in the Post Build commands may help too. At the moment I cannot reproduce your problem, and with my setup the Post Build command definitely runs after the main build is finished.
Re: Post-Buildstep no .bin file [message #1749507 is a reply to message #1749477] Wed, 07 December 2016 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Foo Bar is currently offline Foo BarFriend
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
Here is a part of the output when I compile. It clearly shows that the .bin file is only created after the post-build command. I just entered a simple echo.

make --no-print-directory post-build
echo here is the post script started
here is the post script started

Invoking: Cross ARM GNU Create Flash Image
arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary --gap-fill=0xff "firmware.elf"  "firmware.bin"
Finished building: firmware.bin

When I added a 10 second pause to the execution of my post build and deleted the release folder before compiling I could clearly see that the bin file was generated after the 10 second pause.

(parallel build is disabled).

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2016 14:19]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Post-Buildstep no .bin file [message #1749515 is a reply to message #1749507] Wed, 07 December 2016 16:32 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Hi, Thanks for the extra information. I assume you have the GNU Arm Eclipse plugins http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/ installed? It is those plug-ins that do the "extra" post build step of creating a flash image. Please consult their support forums for more info/details: http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/support/ Perhaps there is already an answer there on how to do what you want, or perhaps a bug report to them would be useful.

[Updated on: Wed, 07 December 2016 16:45]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Problems while running a simple c program on eclipse
Next Topic:Package downloading hangs while trying to clean build CDT from source
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 02:51:10 GMT 2024