Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » LOG & EVENTS (Is needed a REST API to get access to log & events)
LOG & EVENTS [message #1742539] Sat, 03 September 2016 11:59 Go to next message
Roberti Foc Igor is currently offline Roberti Foc IgorFriend
Hi,
after some posts with Chris on OH2, We discussed about the necessarity to evolve the mangement of the logs and events.

the conclusion is @ end Smile on this post with name Zwave plus

community.openhab.org/t/zwave-plus/13788/16

What do you think?
Re: LOG & EVENTS [message #1742563 is a reply to message #1742539] Mon, 05 September 2016 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
I am not sure if a general feature in ESH to expose logs on the REST API makes sense.
Logs are essentially internal technical information and should not be relevant to "end user UIs".

How to get diagnostic information is probably something that should be decided by the solutions themselves.
Re: LOG & EVENTS [message #1744908 is a reply to message #1742563] Sun, 02 October 2016 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Quote:

I am not sure if a general feature in ESH to expose logs on the REST API makes sense.

I don't see why it doesn't make sense. It's a management function for sure, but we do have management functions in the REST API. We also added a logging method to allow the front end to add logs, so it would I believe be useful to have a function to also recover logs.

For me it's not a case of if it makes sense - viewing logs is something that is needed, it's more a question of wether or not to add something to the ESH interfaces.

I believe that there are methods for recovering logs, and IMHO if this could be exposed to the REST API it would be very useful if someone were to add it....
Re: LOG & EVENTS [message #1745118 is a reply to message #1744908] Wed, 05 October 2016 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
My point was that ESH does not at all deal with logging apart from the fact that it uses org.slf4j interfaces.
The logger implementation is completely up to solutions and thus is the mechanism on how logs can be read, exposed and processed.
Re: LOG & EVENTS [message #1746114 is a reply to message #1745118] Sat, 22 October 2016 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
The real use case might be in a general notification framework, which we discussed elsewhere on the forum, and for which a proof of concept PR is available (and long due to be kicked around a bit more https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/459)
Re: LOG & EVENTS [message #1746115 is a reply to message #1745118] Sat, 22 October 2016 07:44 Go to previous message
Karel Goderis is currently offline Karel GoderisFriend
The real use case might be in a general notification framework, which we discussed elsewhere on the forum, and for which a proof of concept PR is available (and long due to be kicked around a bit more https://github.com/eclipse/smarthome/pull/459)
Previous Topic:Dynamic Creation and Disposal of Channels
Next Topic:REST : ItemResource : only PUT to update state?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:00:54 GMT 2024