Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Kura » Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B
Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1740106] Tue, 09 August 2016 09:53 Go to next message
Sameek Bhaumik is currently offline Sameek BhaumikFriend
Dear All,

I am new to Kura and trying to setup Kura Wifi on RPi 3 Model B.

The Kura version I am working on is 1.4.0.

The goal is to setup Kura Wifi access point so that data from sensors/devices can be pulled over wifi and at the same time push the data over Internet enabled wifi network to which the Rpi connects.

So, effectively there would be two wireless networks.
1) Where RPi acts as a access point to receive data from sensors
2) Where the RPi connects to a access point (Wireless Router) to push the sensor data.

I need to help to achieve this configuration.

Pls let me know in case additional details are required.
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1740259 is a reply to message #1740106] Wed, 10 August 2016 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Woodard is currently offline David WoodardFriend
Hello,

I am not sure what kind of help you need. Did you get Kura installed? When you open the web UI, are you seeing both of your wireless interfaces listed under the networking tab?

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1740272 is a reply to message #1740259] Thu, 11 August 2016 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I've got Kura installed. I can see wlan0 only under interfaces in the networking tab.

I think I missed a point while asking the initial question, to get both the interfaces listed I need a usb wifi dongle in addition to the in-built wifi which I don't have at the moment. I am new to Linux, so pls confirm whether I need a wifi dongle also.

I am attaching the interfaces file herewith for your perusal. I have line nos. 14-17 commented because wlan0 was not able to connect to a wifi access point with those lines uncommented.

Also, let me know if both wireless interfaces can be listed under networking tab without an additional wifi dongle.

With Warm Regards,
Sameek
  • Attachment: interfaces
    (Size: 0.60KB, Downloaded 120 times)

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2016 07:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1740712 is a reply to message #1740272] Wed, 17 August 2016 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Sameek,

If you want the Raspberry Pi to act as both an access point and WiFi client, then you will indeed need a separate USB WiFi dongle. Once the dongle is installed, as long as the interface shows up with the ifconfig command, Kura will pick it up and provide configuration options in the web UI. If you are using the Kura web UI to configure the networking, you should not manually edit the system configuration files. All settings for the WiFi access point and WiFI client can be made in the UI.

Does this answer your questions?

Thanks,
--Dave
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1740764 is a reply to message #1740712] Thu, 18 August 2016 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes, I've got my questions answered.
Thanks once again!!

Regards,
Sameek
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1748830 is a reply to message #1740106] Tue, 29 November 2016 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amarendra Sahoo is currently offline Amarendra SahooFriend
Hi Dave,

I am facing similar issue. I gone through the discussion and I now conclude that,

1. with the built in Wfi feature of RPi 3 -Model B, you can configure Access Point , when you install Kura on it. This will enable the sensor devices to connect to Kura via wifi . But the Kura cannot connect to Home wifi router ( which is connected to Internet) via wifi. ( But can it connect to Internet router via ethernet? )

2. For Kura , acting as a wifi acces point to connect to Internet router, needs additional wifi dongle connected to RPi3-B, and it can be configured to transmit wifi signal to internet router via Kura web UI.

Am I correct ?

I am failing even to implement the Green house prototype ( because my Kura cannot connect to Cloud service from eclipse via http).

Please suggest.
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1748833 is a reply to message #1740106] Tue, 29 November 2016 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amarendra Sahoo is currently offline Amarendra SahooFriend
So it seems

to use Kura both as

1. Access Point for Sensor devices to connect and receive messages from them
2. wifi client to send sensor data to router and to internet

we need built in wifi and addiitional wifi dongle in RPi3- b

and configure bith via Kura Web UI.
Re: Setting Up Kura and Wifi on RPi 3 Model B [message #1748893 is a reply to message #1748833] Tue, 29 November 2016 20:03 Go to previous message
Hello,

I am not sure if you have a question, but your summary is correct. If you need both a WiFi access point and WiFi client you will need to WiFi modules.

Thanks,
--Dave
Previous Topic:How to import external .jar and use it in a bundle
Next Topic:Any recommened unit tests tools for Kura?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 02:57:48 GMT 2024