Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Content assist and function parameters in 9.0.0
Content assist and function parameters in 9.0.0 [message #1736340] Tue, 28 June 2016 14:06 Go to next message
Andris Zeila is currently offline Andris ZeilaFriend
Hi,

not sure if it's a bug, but I've experienced strange behavior of content assist in 9.0.0. For some function it automatically inserts parameter names rather than simply showing tooltip above the function. For example if I define a function 'void test(int abc)', then typing 'test' and pressing ctrl+space will complete this function as 'test(abc)'.

I don't know if that's how it's supposed to work (it didn't work this way in 8.x), but I ended up commenting out ParameterGuessingProposal usage in core/org.eclipse.cdt.ui/src/org/eclipse/cdt/internal/ui/text/contentassist/DOMCompletionProposalComputer.java

I assume it's a 'feature' that came from the java content assist (apparently it's based on org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.text.java.ParameterGuessingProposal). But I understand in java content assist preferences there is an option to disable it - 'Fill method arguments and...'. No such option can be found in CDT content assist options.

Is this a know issue (feature) ? I haven't tried it on clean installation/workspace/project - so maybe it's simply something wrong with my setup.
Re: Content assist and function parameters in 9.0.0 [message #1736358 is a reply to message #1736340] Tue, 28 June 2016 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
I believe this is a side effect of a new feature that was supposed to be in CDT 9.0. See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=495095#c17 for all the details, but the summary is that the new parameter guessing code was found to have serious issues just before the 9.0 release, so the code was supposed to be disabled. My guess is that some part has not been disabled properly or fully. The feature has now been completed properly for 9.1 (on CDT master), so you could experiment with it and provide feedback if you have the time?
Re: Content assist and function parameters in 9.0.0 [message #1736400 is a reply to message #1736358] Wed, 29 June 2016 08:59 Go to previous message
Andris Zeila is currently offline Andris ZeilaFriend
Great! I'll try it out later.
Previous Topic:State of code covarage with CDT?
Next Topic:How to add author name and genaral info at .exe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:32:49 GMT 2024