Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to update a single org.eclipse plugin?
How to update a single org.eclipse plugin? [message #1727779] Sun, 27 March 2016 14:02 Go to next message
Brandon Lewis is currently offline Brandon LewisFriend
I'm trying to install a new tool. The tools says, in English, that it works with Eclipse 4.4 (Luna). It is not telling the truth unfortunately (or the doc hasn't been updated)

However, when trying to install it, I get problems because it requires org.eclipse.ui.ide 3.11.0 and my Eclipse Lunar 4.4.2 install only has version 3.10.something. All published installs on Eclipse.org for Luna don't go beyond 4.4.2 and version 3.10.something.

So... ever tried searching on something like "how do I upgrade a single Eclipse plugin" in Google before - it does not work very well at all.

I about 1.5hrs into this. First I download the 3.11.0 plug-in. Try to drop it into the drop-ins folder. Does not work.

Removed 3.10.x and replace with 3.11.0 - Eclipse won't start. Undo that, so I can at least launch Eclipse again.

Okay, screw it, despite my past history, let's just upgrade to Mars. It's my personal Mac after all and money for my company is not at stake. Add the Eclipse Mars update site, check for updates.

Updates happen, Eclipse relaunches and then.... wait for it... Mac won't launch Eclipse. Why? Because Eclipse has actually _removed_ the actual executable!

Good grief.

... so how do humans replace a single Eclipse plug-in?

Nevermind I guess since I have to do a COMPLETE RE-INSTALL.

frowns face.
Re: How to update a single org.eclipse plugin? [message #1727935 is a reply to message #1727779] Tue, 29 March 2016 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
The simplest answer is, you don't generally (can't, really) change just one plug-in. At least not any of the core org.eclipse.* plugins. They are most often broken down in such a way that several of them go together (if curious, you could research Features, which are configured sets of plug-ins that belong together).
There are plenty of small, third-party plug-ins that are simple and standalone, but even those often have specific dependencies on core plug-ins that mean they can't just be dropped into place. It's actually a very complex problem to solve, dependency management like what Eclipse has.
Having said that, most producers of Eclipse plug-ins understand this complexity (at least superficially) and take efforts to either make their plug-ins as flexible as possible about what they depend on, or offer alternate update sites for different versions of Eclipse. What tool are you trying to install?
Re: How to update a single org.eclipse plugin? [message #1728321 is a reply to message #1727935] Sat, 02 April 2016 00:00 Go to previous message
Brandon Lewis is currently offline Brandon LewisFriend
Thanks Eric. Ultimately going forward from Luna to Mars was faster, smoother, and easier to figure out than trying to trick Eclipse to replace a single plug-in. I've never really tried modifying a single org.eclipse.* plug-in before... and it didn't go well. Smile
Previous Topic:Using a project template, then putting it into source control
Next Topic:Why does one Eclipse instance think a particular workspace's .metadata folder is read-only?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:37:00 GMT 2024