Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help!(Eclipse Error)
icon9.gif  Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help! [message #1726371] Fri, 11 March 2016 21:55 Go to next message
Brinosauras Gaming is currently offline Brinosauras GamingFriend
Please help me! There is this error that usually appears whenever I do my Eclipse projects. Usually, the error pops up 15 minutes into when I'm into coding my projects, and is extremely annoying! The error says: "cannot open output file Habitat Preservation.exe: Permission denied Habitat Preservation C/C++ Problem." Since the code project I'm working on is called Habitat Preservation, that is why it says "Habitat Preservation" in the error. I think that the problem is in the file path, but I don't know how to fix it! If anyone knows how to, please tell me! I can't keep working on my projects if this keeps happening! Crying or Very Sad
Re: Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help! [message #1726376 is a reply to message #1726371] Sat, 12 March 2016 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
I don't have a solution but the following might provide some ideas for tracking this down.

I had a similar problem some time ago and the complaint was about a file named '0x00fe'. I finally concluded that it was listed in the project workspace somewhere. Deleting the project and re-importing it fixed it for me.

I would guess "Habitat Preservation.exe" is the name of the executable for your project. Since it is an output file, I would expect this to appear when trying to create it, say, during a build. However, I wouldn't expect it at other times. I suppose you haven't noticed any correlation between its appearance and your activities.

I'm guessing you are running Windows. Under cygwin, perhaps? Cygwin used to have a problem with spaces in names. I haven't used cygwin in a long time and I don't know if that ever got fixed. Perhaps renaming your project to remove the space will work. Other than that I don't really have a clue.

I assume since you say "pops up" it is an error dialog and it is from Eclipse. There is an Eclipse error log you can view which might give more information.

[Updated on: Sat, 12 March 2016 00:24]

Report message to a moderator

icon5.gif  Re: Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help! [message #1726380 is a reply to message #1726376] Sat, 12 March 2016 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brinosauras Gaming is currently offline Brinosauras GamingFriend
David Vavra wrote on Sat, 12 March 2016 00:20
I don't have a solution but the following might provide some ideas for tracking this down.

I had a similar problem some time ago and the complaint was about a file named '0x00fe'. I finally concluded that it was listed in the project workspace somewhere. Deleting the project and re-importing it fixed it for me.

I would guess "Habitat Preservation.exe" is the name of the executable for your project. Since it is an output file, I would expect this to appear when trying to create it, say, during a build. However, I wouldn't expect it at other times. I suppose you haven't noticed any correlation between its appearance and your activities.

I'm guessing you are running Windows. Under cygwin, perhaps? Cygwin used to have a problem with spaces in names. I haven't used cygwin in a long time and I don't know if that ever got fixed. Perhaps renaming your project to remove the space will work. Other than that I don't really have a clue.

I assume since you say "pops up" it is an error dialog and it is from Eclipse. There is an Eclipse error log you can view which might give more information.

Well, not really pop up, I was trying to find a way to say that there was an error in the error log. Wink whenever I go to the error log, it states the problem, and what the problem does, is that whenever I type in some more code, build it, and run it, it never updates the program whenever I run it. So... any ideas? And I also think that one time, I had that problem, 1 week later, when I went to check back on the project, the error went away, atleast I think so... or that could've been just a dream! Very Happy
Re: Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help! [message #1726405 is a reply to message #1726371] Sat, 12 March 2016 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
This is a Windows complaint when you're trying to create an .exe file and a program under the same file name is already running. Stop the previous copy before trying to build a new one.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Cannot Open Output File Error Please Help! [message #1726645 is a reply to message #1726405] Tue, 15 March 2016 10:50 Go to previous message
Balvinder Singh is currently offline Balvinder SinghFriend
make sure that u have correctly specified the path and file name....and that the filename is not the same as an existing user name..
if you continue to receive the same message...at the command propt use the attibe to see if the file is only read only then and make sure the share command has not been locked the file...
if the output is on floopy disk,..... make sure that disk is not write protected.....
if you still receive the same message and you have anothor file open.. close the file so that new file can b opened,

Previous Topic:Function Arguments
Next Topic:useing random in Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:02:12 GMT 2024