Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » SWTBot » Execute SWTBot in running IDE
Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1723008] Wed, 10 February 2016 18:54 Go to next message
Lutz Wrage is currently offline Lutz WrageFriend
I have a rather lengthy workflow that involves opening a UML file, invoking operations from the menu bar, saving the file again, converting to ecore and generating code. I can use the recorder to record all these actions.
Is there a way to execute the actions not in a test running in a separate eclipse instance but in the currently running IDE? That would allow me to automate this workflow.
Re: Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1723011 is a reply to message #1723008] Wed, 10 February 2016 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Take a look at the E4 Keyboard Macros -- it might be able to help. It can be installed by using Help > Install New Software from

http://download.eclipse.org/e4/snapshots/org.eclipse.e4.ui/

under the Macros section. The implementation is specific to the Eclipse 4.x stream and has only been tested with 4.5 (Mars). There's some documentation at:

https://wiki.eclipse.org/E4/Macros

Brian.
Re: Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1723083 is a reply to message #1723011] Thu, 11 February 2016 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't expect a keyboard macro to be sufficient. In particular, the workflow requires waiting until a dialog shows up and then clicking OK.
BTW, TPTP used to have a UI recording component that allowed playback in the running instance and worked perfectly for my use case. Unfortunately that has been discontinued.
Re: Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1723288 is a reply to message #1723083] Sat, 13 February 2016 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a solution: Run SWTBot in an EASE script.
Re: Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1727348 is a reply to message #1723008] Tue, 22 March 2016 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mickael Istria is currently offline Mickael IstriaFriend

Currently, SWTBot doesn't do that. But I believe it's a good idea to
have SWTBot and EASE working together, especially since SWTBot now has a
test recorder/generator that can be used to quickly define macros.

Do you think this use case require further integration, or do EASE and
SWTBot just work well together without need for specific improvements on
one side or the other?
Re: Execute SWTBot in running IDE [message #1758151 is a reply to message #1727348] Thu, 23 March 2017 23:30 Go to previous message
It works reasonably well for me. The only issue I've run into is that I often have to insert sleep() statements to wait, for example, for a menu item to become active/enabled.
Previous Topic:Test failing with _cairo_format_from_content: Assertion `!"reached"' fail
Next Topic:How to click on toolbar dropdown menu item using SWTBOT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 11:15:59 GMT 2024