Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » UI questions
UI questions [message #1718849] Thu, 31 December 2015 05:05 Go to next message
Grady Duncan is currently offline Grady DuncanFriend
I have been working through the paperUI getting myself familiar with all of the parts and packages included. This leaves me with a few questions.

It looks like bootstrap is being included but when inspecting the DOM of the rendered paperUI I see very little bootstrap classes. What was the purpose of including BS, same questions for jQuery?

Specific to BS is there plans to start using more of this framework? It is possible to create a 'custom' version that only includes that components we would use, appears to just be the grid and a few helper classes.

Does the file size make a big difference? For example, lets say the size of org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper on disk is 100mb. If that size could be reduced to 50mb would it make a big impact on the overall project? With the package being the size it is already i'm not sure if size is a concern or something we should work on reducing, thoughts?
Re: UI questions [message #1718922 is a reply to message #1718849] Sat, 02 January 2016 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to expand this question a bit should maven delete things like node, node_components and bower before building the jar?
Re: UI questions [message #1719411 is a reply to message #1718922] Thu, 07 January 2016 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sascha Wolter is currently offline Sascha WolterFriend
Well, even it is not a best practice to include bower and co. in the deployment, I guess, for brevity/easiness I can live with the current way. Especially as I understand the PaperUI just as a sample implementation for demonstration and testing purpose and wouldn't waste too much time here. Indeed, creating a real world application means, you need to optimize it. Not sure if this is done with the PaperUI version in openHAB 2. Cheers, Sascha.
Re: UI questions [message #1719433 is a reply to message #1719411] Thu, 07 January 2016 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Sascha,

We currently have a work effort to optimize the paperUI as it is my understand that this is the same version used in openHAB2.

Thanks for the feedback!
Re: UI questions [message #1719998 is a reply to message #1719433] Wed, 13 January 2016 16:08 Go to previous message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
> Does the file size make a big difference? For example, lets say the size of org.eclipse.smarthome.ui.paper on disk is 100mb.

Just to set the expectations right here: The size of the source project on the disk during build time does not really matter. What matters is the size of the binary jar, which is currently 2 MB and if this can be reduced by half, it would be helpful, since the target are low-power embedded devices and every bundle that is more than 1 MB is considered to be huge already.
Therefore, no unneeded stuff should be packaged in it.
Furthermore there is a legal aspect: We must be very careful what we package and deliver within the jars. All code must be checked by the IP team and we should strive to have only very little 3rd party code in there.

> should maven delete things like node, node_components and bower before building the jar?

No, as long as these things do not end up in the jar. But what is packaged is defined in build.properties, so you can leave it on the file system as long as you do not reference it in build.properties.
Previous Topic:Automation : how to access ModuleHandler(s)?
Next Topic:How to filter items
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:15:05 GMT 2024