Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain
How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717067] Wed, 09 December 2015 19:13 Go to next message
Chef Hoobajoob is currently offline Chef HoobajoobFriend
So, I have a dev system on which I regularly use different versions of Visual Studio. I have 2008, 2010, and 2013 all in production, where 2010 and 2013 are the most active.

When I use the CDT to create a new C++ project, it prompts me for the tool chain, with "Microsoft Visual C++" as an option. But, it doesn't provide me with the ability to select which version of Visual Studio I want it to use.

This results in CDT making the wrong compiler version selection, which means I have to run around to different configuration windows and tweak a whole bunch of incorrectly-chosen paths and so forth.

Is there something I'm missing during project creation? How can I instruct CDT to use a specific version of the compiler?
Re: How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717246 is a reply to message #1717067] Fri, 11 December 2015 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Re: How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717306 is a reply to message #1717246] Fri, 11 December 2015 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
This isn't restricted to MSVC. How would you select different versions of GCC?
You could edit the tool chain and change to the one you want.
You could change the execution path before running Eclipse.

Re: How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717326 is a reply to message #1717306] Fri, 11 December 2015 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah - ok, so, what is Eclipse using to select a specific version of the MSVC toolchain?

Registry?

Environment variables?

It's not path - I don't have any visual studio stuff in my path environment.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 December 2015 17:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717330 is a reply to message #1717326] Fri, 11 December 2015 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't seem to find a way to influence this decision. I eliminated all environment variables except for those related to vs2013, spun up a new workspace and created a new c++ project, and CDT still hardwired path info to the vs2012 install.

I tried slogging around in the registry for any sign of Eclipse having persisted this path info somewhere to no avail, and there are just too many locations in the registry that could have provided this path information.

In the meantime, while I'm having to override the paths it chooses, is there a way to at least cook it into some config files in the project somewhere?

The important settings seem to be the Environment settings in <project>->C/C++ Build->Environment.

[Updated on: Fri, 11 December 2015 18:06]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to select Visual Studio version to use for MSVC toolchain [message #1717336 is a reply to message #1717330] Fri, 11 December 2015 19:54 Go to previous message
Aha! Found a way to export these settings in <project>=>C/C++ Generatl=>Indexer->Store settings with project.

This seems to export all the environment stuff that includes these toolchain paths. So, I get that set up once, save out these settings, and (hopefully) reuse in other projects.
Previous Topic:Compile C++ project for both Ubuntu and Windows.
Next Topic:Zylin Embedded CDT - Problem while installing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:45:57 GMT 2024