Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Additional Channel Categories
Additional Channel Categories [message #1716892] Tue, 08 December 2015 21:42 Go to next message
Marcel Verpaalen is currently offline Marcel VerpaalenFriend
Given that with the current list of predefined categories it is still challenging to find the right types for the channels I thought to start the discussion here on which other channel would make sense to add. This will give the opportunity to have the UI's render the channels in a good & consistent way.

• Utilisation - R - Number
  • Time - RW - DateTime
  • Date - RW - DateTime
  • Heating - RW - Switch, Number
  • Thermostat - RW - Switch, String

Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1717541 is a reply to message #1716892] Mon, 14 December 2015 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
- Utilisation -> what is this about? I would have no idea...
- Time -> ok, possibly something like a clock as an icon?
- Date -> ok, with an calendar icon?
- Heating -> Not sure; wouldn't temperature be ok here? Note that these are categories for functions not for devices and the function is likely to be related to adjusting the temperature, isn't it?
- Thermostat -> Again probably rather describing the "control" and not its function, so I am not sure if this fits to the list.
Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1717566 is a reply to message #1717541] Mon, 14 December 2015 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
I've just been adding a few new zwave things into the system, and also came across some issues... Thermostats... In ZWave, thermostats have quite a few functions that don't really fall into the temperature category - eg, there are heating mode, cooling mode, fan mode, fan speed. I'm wondering if we need a thermostat category, or maybe to generalise it a little more, "Climate Control"?
Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1717624 is a reply to message #1717566] Tue, 15 December 2015 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris, as explained above, the categories are currently only for functions, not for devices. So we won't need a category for "climate control", but instead for the functions that you name: heating mode, cooling mode, fan mode, fan speed.
For modes, I do not really see any useful category, though...
Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1717689 is a reply to message #1717624] Tue, 15 December 2015 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Jackson is currently offline Chris JacksonFriend
Hi Kai,
Sorry - I didn't explain that well. I'm not talking about categories for devices - this is a single device that provides the multiple functions that I mentioned.

I don't think we can ever add enough categories to cover all functions of every device we might encounter. I'm happy if you want to add categories for all the different functions of a thermostat (and other devices), but I was thinking about trying to generalise it a little at least. Otherwise I fear we would end up with 1000 different categories as each device does something slightly different, and I don't think that is helpful either?

Quote:

So we won't need a category for "climate control", but instead for the functions that you name: heating mode, cooling mode, fan mode, fan speed.

My thought was therefore to add a single category of "Climate Control" that would cover the multitude of functions that will no doubt turn up, but if you're happy to add these 4 modes then this is fine too Smile

Quote:

For modes, I do not really see any useful category, though...

Sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by this?

Cheers
Chris
Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1717749 is a reply to message #1717541] Wed, 16 December 2015 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marcel Verpaalen is currently offline Marcel VerpaalenFriend
Kai Kreuzer wrote on Mon, 14 December 2015 17:01
- Utilization -> what is this about? I would have no idea...

The device is measuring the remaining airtime for sending commands, which is a % based measure. Hence I was thinking of a gauge icon
(it is only allowed to use a certain % of the radio spectrum, hence the rate of data send to the devices is limited by the allowed max usage of the radio band),
Utilization was to me a more generic way of expressing it.

Likewise I was thinking of using the same for the memory usage measure.

- Utilisation -> what is this about? I would have no idea...
- Time -> ok, possibly something like a clock as an icon?
- Date -> ok, with an calendar icon?

indeed, that would make sense to me.

- - Heating -> Not sure; wouldn't temperature be ok here? Note that these are categories for functions not for devices and the function is likely to be related to adjusting the temperature, isn't it?
- Thermostat -> Again probably rather describing the "control" and not its function, so I am not sure if this fits to the list.

See the discussion of Chris here as well. The thermostats have multiple functions beside the temperature. e.g. mode setting is an important one (auto, manual etc). For the mode setting there is no appropriate channel.
If "climate control mode" is more descriptive I'm fine with that as well.

Re: Additional Channel Categories [message #1718211 is a reply to message #1717749] Mon, 21 December 2015 11:01 Go to previous message
Quote:
My thought was therefore to add a single category of "Climate Control" that would cover the multitude of functions that will no doubt turn up, but if you're happy to add these 4 modes then this is fine too Smile

I fully agree that we should not have a too long list of categories - after all, this is the list that an icon set would have to provide icons for and the longer the list, the more difficult it is to provide an icon set.
That's why I rather suggested to not provide a category, if there isn't a good match and leave it to the user to select on of his preference.

Quote:
The device is measuring the remaining airtime for sending commands, which is a % based measure.

You are talking about the duty cycle, aren't you? I actually cannot think of any good visualisation of that, I would tend to not define a category here.
Previous Topic:ClassNotFoundException when running ESH tests
Next Topic:Channel icons
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 06:37:03 GMT 2024