Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » How to set the group of a thing from the binding
How to set the group of a thing from the binding [message #1716068] Mon, 30 November 2015 23:29 Go to next message
Marcel Verpaalen is currently offline Marcel VerpaalenFriend
I have a binding that is location aware, meaning that the bridge device is configured with the location of the connected things. (practical: thermostats that are configured with the info in which room they are located)

I would like to give the option to the user to (as otion in the bridge configuration) to assign each of these things to a group that represents this room.

I'm struggling to find the right entry point to do this.
I expect 2 steps: first identify if the group is already defined, if not create it.
step 2 assign the thing to the group.

Any hints (should this be done with tags instead? if yes, same question, what's the right entry point to create them and to connect them to things)

[Updated on: Mon, 30 November 2015 23:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to set the group of a thing from the binding [message #1716341 is a reply to message #1716068] Thu, 03 December 2015 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Osman Basha is currently offline Osman BashaFriend
I have a similar use case here and would also appreciate it if someone could give us a hint Smile

Thanks in advance!
Re: How to set the group of a thing from the binding [message #1716363 is a reply to message #1716341] Thu, 03 December 2015 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kai Kreuzer is currently offline Kai KreuzerFriend
I general the information about rooms is nothing that is within the scope of a binding - after all, there are no "rooms" in ESH.
What there is are item groups, but these should not be misinterpreted as Thing groups. You cannot assign Things to groups.

I do not really recommend trying to go this route. If you want to add the information in some way as a hint for the user, the easiest way is probably to add it to the label of the discovery result.
But imagine you have 5 different bindings in your solution, all having their own internal management of "rooms". Which system should be in the lead? How are they synched? How to deal with conflicts?
Imho the user should maintain the groups manually in ESH and maintain his items accordingly.
Re: How to set the group of a thing from the binding [message #1716567 is a reply to message #1716363] Fri, 04 December 2015 21:39 Go to previous message
Marcel Verpaalen is currently offline Marcel VerpaalenFriend
Okay, got your point of can't assign things to groups. Instead than I would like to assign all the items to the relevant item groups

However, as the devices are already aware of their location, as a user I definitely would like the optional convenience that the thermostats items are linked instead of needing to do that manually.

Quote:
But imagine you have 5 different bindings in your solution, all having their own internal management of "rooms". Which system should be in the lead? How are they synched? How to deal with conflicts?

The MAX! system has location awareness feature, whether we like it or not. There is no possibility in the eq3 system to configure the system without that. What would be the benefit of not using the info.

I think indeed ESHs leading wrt to the groups,there is no need for syncing.
If the items groups are not there, we create them, but if they are existing, don't do anything. Likewise, whatever groups the items are already linked to they would remain, but if the user choose in the setting to assign them as well to the item groups this would be done.
Previous Topic:Using the Designer
Next Topic:Migrated Bugzilla to Github Issues
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:24:22 GMT 2024