Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Equinox » Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime
Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693708] Mon, 27 April 2015 17:30 Go to next message
ALex W is currently offline ALex WFriend
Hello,

I'm working on a E4 application to control electronic boards. The application can only control a single board instance at a time, but I want to offer support for multiple boards without providing multiple versions of the compiled product/app (the user may have to restart the app to properly reload the bundles).

I'm using declarative services to implement a controller service for each board.

Is there any way to chose the implementation at runtime ?
I've been searching for weeks with no result. I'm open to almost anything :
- Lifecycle hook ?
- Bundlecontext registration filter ?
- Dynamic bundle loading ?
-... Anything else ?

I tried :
    Bundle b = context.installBundle( location );

But this leads me to some stack trace and I still have to register the services manually (even though I have an OSGI component inside)

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Error while renaming bundle file to final location: ....\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\MyApp.product\org.eclipse.osgi\187\0\bundleFile
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getContentFile0(Storage.java:765)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.getContentFile(Storage.java:741)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.storage.Storage.install(Storage.java:506)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleContextImpl.java:146)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.installBundle(BundleContextImpl.java:139)
	at org.myapp.core.internal.MyAppCoreActivator.start(myAppCoreActivator.java:34)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:771)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:1)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:764)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:721)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.startWorker0(EquinoxBundle.java:936)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle$EquinoxModule.startWorker(EquinoxBundle.java:319)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStart(Module.java:571)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.start(Module.java:439)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:454)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.hooks.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:107)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.classpath.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:531)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.findLocalClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:324)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findLocalClass(BundleLoader.java:320)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:395)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:345)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:337)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.loader.ModuleClassLoader.loadClass(ModuleClassLoader.java:160)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.loadClass(EquinoxBundle.java:568)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponent.createInstance(ServiceComponent.java:493)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponentProp.createInstance(ServiceComponentProp.java:270)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.model.ServiceComponentProp.build(ServiceComponentProp.java:331)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.InstanceProcess.buildComponent(InstanceProcess.java:620)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.InstanceProcess.buildComponents(InstanceProcess.java:197)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.Resolver.buildNewlySatisfied(Resolver.java:473)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.Resolver.enableComponents(Resolver.java:217)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.SCRManager.performWork(SCRManager.java:816)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.SCRManager$QueuedJob.dispatch(SCRManager.java:783)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.ds.WorkThread.run(WorkThread.java:89)

Please help (maybe with technical snippets or link).
Thank you,

[Updated on: Mon, 27 April 2015 18:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693717 is a reply to message #1693708] Mon, 27 April 2015 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
DS supports Configuration Admin which should allow you to configure a target filter to match a specific implementation of a service. Perhaps this page can help you: https://thecarlhall.wordpress.com/2010/06/06/set-osgi-service-reference-target-through-configuration/
Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693722 is a reply to message #1693717] Mon, 27 April 2015 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the answer Smile

I'l ltake a look at it, but from what I've read so fare, it's still the caller that needs to know the desired implementation. That's not what I want to do. Basically I only want implementation at a time in the BundleContext.

The following seems to work : (I forgot the start() method in my previous attempts...)

Bundle b = context.installBundle( location );
b.start();

I'll probably end up configuring some specific bundle loader for my own needs.

[Updated on: Tue, 28 April 2015 06:23]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693727 is a reply to message #1693722] Tue, 28 April 2015 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson is currently offline Thomas WatsonFriend
I don't understand why you would not use configuration admin to configure your target filter for selecting the service in DS. DS should have built-in support for configuring such things with configuration admin.
Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693747 is a reply to message #1693727] Tue, 28 April 2015 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
I don't understand why you would not use configuration admin to configure your target filter for selecting the service in DS. DS should have built-in support for configuring such things with configuration admin.

For a very simple reason : I don't know anything about Config Admin Smile
I'll take a look at it.
Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1693975 is a reply to message #1693727] Wed, 29 April 2015 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Watson wrote on Mon, 27 April 2015 22:15

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with the ConfigAdmin, it is up to the consuming service to explecitely mention which implementation it wants to use, right ?

In this case, it won't work for me, be cause I already have some view that are designed to run with the interface of the service (ie, any implementation will work transparently, but only one at a time).
The other services that requires the implementation already consume a sub interface of the desired service.
Sorry, if I'm not very clear, english is not my native language Smile
Re: Equinox, chose service implementation at runtime [message #1694303 is a reply to message #1693975] Mon, 04 May 2015 09:23 Go to previous message
When calling the injector for the service injection with the @Reference annotation, can the "target" be dynamic ?

@Reference(target="(type=really)")
GreatService greatService;

I think I'll will create a targetBoard property in each service using the service properties and the search the service by doing a

String targetBoard = ... // Find the target board for the application
String filter = "(targetBoard=" + targetBoard + ")";
ServiceReference[] serviceReferences = bundleContext.getServiceReferences( IBoard.class, filter);

Previous Topic:Update site contents in dropins folder gets No repository found
Next Topic:osgi.framework.extensions does not work with WebStart
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:07:24 GMT 2024