Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Eclipse project with multiple developers in same folder
Eclipse project with multiple developers in same folder [message #1691949] Fri, 10 April 2015 16:59 Go to next message
Dave Heq is currently offline Dave HeqFriend
We have a codebase on a mapped drive in Windows, and we can't have multiple developers creating their Eclipse project on that same folder otherwise they will overwrite each others' .settings, .project, and .buildpath files.

What is the best way to handle this?

I've tried various things but we need these aspects:

1. warning when a file you're trying to save has been modified by someone else
2. ability to search files and folders for names and text in files
3. ability to Ctrl+click code trace properties (functions, classes, variables, etc)

Right now I'm trying to copy the code to a local directory and set up the project there and save on-demand or automatically my changes to the public directory, but I'm not sure if that will warn me if someone else has modified the public directory file.
Re: Eclipse project with multiple developers in same folder [message #1692496 is a reply to message #1691949] Thu, 16 April 2015 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dawid Pakula is currently offline Dawid PakulaFriend
Eclipse isn't designed to share project/workspace directory by NFS/samba between many simulates developers..

You should use code repository to track changes (for ex. git) and something for CI (cron, jenkins, hudson).
Since mars (eclipse 4.5) will be possible to share workbench/project settings between developers via oomph (http://eclipse.org/oomph)

Re: Eclipse project with multiple developers in same folder [message #1692573 is a reply to message #1692496] Thu, 16 April 2015 14:53 Go to previous message
Dave Heq is currently offline Dave HeqFriend
They're not NFS/samba, they're mapped drives in Windows using net use (look it up) \\networkdrive\folder, the actual code is hosted on a Windows server. It functions just like a Windows folder, shared from another computer. That isn't the issue, and shouldn't get in the way of Eclipse. I only mention it in case someone has run into complications with it.

My issue is that I need to know the best way to set up our projects with multiple developers. I think it's solved if we copy the code to our own local drives, set up each of our individual projects there, then syncronize (upload/download) manually (or automatically if it's not problematic), but I'm not sure if Eclipse can handle this properly AND if it will warn when a file on the mapped drive has been changed.

I can run tests but it's time consuming especially for multiple people, and I would rather get the experience of the community on it if I can.
Previous Topic:Install xdebug or zend in PDT
Next Topic:Content assist semi-broken since February 2015 update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 03:24:28 GMT 2024