What do you do?
I am working in the Connected Home department of Deutsche Telekom as a software engineer and developer evangelist. This means that I do not only love programming smart homes, but that I am also trying to enlarge the developer communities around it. This is the reason for me being the project lead of Eclipse SmartHome, which is a central part not only of the commercial QIVICON platform of Deutsche Telekom, but also of the open-source openHAB project for DIY smart home enthusiasts.
How long have you been using Eclipse?
In 2004, I started using Eclipse as an IDE for Java programming and in 2006 I dived deep into the Eclipse universe when I became a development team member for an Eclipse RCP application for model-driven development.
Name five plugins you use and recommend:
- MWE2: I couldn't generate all my Xtext DSL code without it
- Xtend: Well, the generated code needs to be transformed into Java somehow
- FindBugs: I am still sometimes surprised with the things it comes up with
- Regex Util: I will never be fluent in regular expressions and this tool helps with the trial and error
- JadClipse: Very handy decompiler integration, if source code is not at hand
What's your favorite thing to do when you're not working?
I love spending time with my kids, who grow up much too fast. Also, I am enjoying playing unicycle hockey, which is my favorite sport.