Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value(C++11 standard library indexing fails)
icon5.gif  C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067392] Mon, 08 July 2013 13:49 Go to next message
Michael Hofmann is currently offline Michael HofmannFriend
When using CDT 8.2 in Eclipse (tried Juno as well as Kepler), I cannot get the indexer to recognise code that uses C++11 standard library features, i.e. classes such as std::array, std::unique_ptr, std::shared_ptr, etc. do not get recognised and are therefore underlined with red squiggles. Same for any class that uses one of these new elements, with the effect that the majority of my code gets underlined in red. Sad

The main culprit *seems to be* that the indexer get a wrong value for the __cplusplus macro; it is 199711L instead of the required 201103L. See the attached picture of an excerpt of the GCC <memory> header.
However, I do not know how to tell Eclipse/CDT how to set the correct value for the __cplusplus macro.
I have already done the following:
- The Discovery, Builtin compiler options include '-std=c++11'.
- The compiler options include '-std=c++11'.
- The preprocessor macro __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ is set.
See also the other attached pictures.
This pretty much corresponds to the advice given in the CDT FAQ.
The allocated console w.r.t. to the discovery options clearly states the *correct* value for __cplusplus. The log output contains:

"**** Running scanner discovery: CDT GCC Builtin Compiler Settings ****
g++ -E -P -v -std=c++11 -dD /Users/michael/workspace/.metadata/.pluginsorg.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core/spec.C
[...]
Configured with: ../gcc-4.8.1/configure [...] --libdir=/opt/local/lib/gcc48 --includedir=/opt/local/include/gcc48 [...]
[...]
#define __cplusplus 201103L <------------ this is correct
gcc version 4.8.1 (MacPorts gcc48 4.8.1_1)
[...]"

I have already tried to rebuild the entire index several times, to no avail.
How can I make the indexer to see __cplusplus as 201103L, such that my code is indexed correctly?
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067789 is a reply to message #1067392] Wed, 10 July 2013 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus km is currently offline Klaus kmFriend
Hello Michael,

check the values under "Preprocessor Include Paths, Macros etc.". There you should find the values CDT has parsed from the scanner discovery output.

index.php/fa/15559/0/

regards,
Klaus

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067801 is a reply to message #1067789] Wed, 10 July 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, it is saying "__cplusplus=201103L" there, and also if I view the console output w.r.t. discovery options (which is probably the same thing).
That's why it's extremely puzzling to see the indexer preprocess the source code wrongly, as shown in the _code_memory.png image attached above.

What can I do to fix this? I have squiggles all over my source code of several large projects, and it doesn't look pretty.

(Side note: I have to say that setting up Eclipse/CDT for proper C++ support has always been quite a pain so far... this should work out of the box or be more intuitive.)
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067825 is a reply to message #1067801] Wed, 10 July 2013 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only can give further hint:

What happens, when you press F3 when the cursor is on __cplusplus?

After adding -std=c++11 - did you rebuild the index?

Do you use the same compiler for build and for scanner discovery?

Check the build output log, is there any setting changing __cplusplus?

Also you could try this:

Make an new Workspace, create the integrated Hello-World example, add -std=c++11 to both settings and then rebuild the index, add some code with __cplusplus. What happens?

regards,
Klaus

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067976 is a reply to message #1067825] Thu, 11 July 2013 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the pointer about setting up a new workspace! I seem to have fixed most of the issues that I've had with the indexing.

This is going to be quite a rant, since I find the user experience in setting this up unacceptable. In case any developers are reading this, please pay good attention...

Since I had to set up a new workspace, I had to re-do all the steps to just get Eclipse/CDT to recognise my compiler correctly. It is painful, and so far I've lost half a day to stupid trial-and-error (not the first time this has happened with Eclipse/CDT):

• I'm using GCC 4.8.1 on a Mac via MacPorts. Without manually changing the PATH variable in the global environment settings it will only recognise the Apple GCC compiler (an ancient 4.2.1, present by default on the system). And it's more difficult than just changing it to "/opt/local/bin:$PATH" - for some reason, it won't recognise that and all paths have to be spelled out explicitly(!). That's not very intuitive.

• Even then, the indexer will *mostly* see the GCC 4.2.1 include files for the standard library. I'm saying mostly, because it will pick up the correct path for files that don't exist in the 4.2.1 include location yet (C++11-only stuff such as type_traits). Needless to say, the indexer doesn't like that.

In order to fix this I have to add the GCC 4.8 standard library directories as the topmost include paths to *all* my projects, as follows:
    1) /opt/local/include/gcc48/c++/x86_64-apple-darwin12/
    2) /opt/local/include/gcc48/c++/

This has to be done using both these paths in exactly this order, otherwise indexing will fail in strange ways. (For example: If I remove the first include directory, following <type_traits> gets me to the correct include, but the included <bits/c++config.h> inside type_traits will be from GCC 4.2.1. Good luck figuring stuff like that out.)

It's weird that this mess happens in the first place, since the scanner discovery output *seems* ok, with all the right directories. See part of the log:
    14:57:53 **** Running scanner discovery: CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings ****
    g++ -E -P -v -std=c++11 -dD /Users/michael/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.core/spec.C
    #define __cplusplus 201103L
    (...)
    Configured with: ../gcc-4.8.1/configure --prefix=/opt/local --build=x86_64-apple-darwin12 --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,lto,fortran,java --libdir=/opt/local/lib/gcc48 --includedir=/opt/local/include/gcc48 --infodir=/opt/local/share/info --mandir=/opt/local/share/man --datarootdir=/opt/local/share/gcc-4.8 --with-local-prefix=/opt/local --with-system-zlib --disable-nls --program-suffix=-mp-4.8 --with-gxx-include-dir=/opt/local/include/gcc48/c++/ --with-gmp=/opt/local --with-mpfr=/opt/local --with-mpc=/opt/local --with-ppl=/opt/local --with-cloog=/opt/local --enable-cloog-backend=isl --disable-cloog-version-check --enable-stage1-checking --disable-multilib --enable-lto --enable-libstdcxx-time --with-as=/opt/local/bin/as --with-ld=/opt/local/bin/ld --with-ar=/opt/local/bin/ar --with-bugurl=https://trac.macports.org/newticket --with-pkgversion='MacPorts gcc48 4.8.1_1'

• Of course I also have to add "-std=c++11" in obscure places. Who in his right mind would get the idea to look under the hidden 'Discovery' tab to add this to the built-in compiler options? The fact that this is mentioned in the FAQ doesn't make it any better.

• With all this set up, the indexer *still* cannot deal with all my code. I'm pretty sure all issues related to include directories are fixed, and what remains are actual indexer bugs. For example, it chokes on this simple case:

#include <type_traits>
    constexpr bool BAR() { return true; }
    struct Foo
    {
    void foo(std::enable_if<true>::type* = nullptr) {} // indexer is fine with this
    void bar(std::enable_if<BAR()>::type* = nullptr) {} // indexer has issues with that
    };

Sad

Can't this all be a bit more intuitive? Can't there be, say, some setup procedure that just works(TM)?
Something along the lines of "We found the following compilers on your system: 1) ... 2) ... 3) ... . Which one would you like to use?" And then "Do you want to enable C++ 11 features/indexing in your projects? yes/no".
The steps anyone has to go through at the moment to set this up correctly are beyond acceptable. I don't even want to know what the hell will happen when I want to switch to a Clang toolchain at some point...

Michael
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1067982 is a reply to message #1067976] Thu, 11 July 2013 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. Not all solved. Suddenly, in another project, the mouse-over over the __cplusplus definition tells me that it's recognized as '1'. No idea why, and of course the indexer doesn't like that. Every setting looks ok, though, and it's telling me everywhere else (i.e. in the properties) that the macro is 201103L.
Why does this have to be such a bloody mess?
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1068001 is a reply to message #1067976] Thu, 11 July 2013 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You should change the PATH environment variable in Windows->Preferences->C/C++->Build->Environment.
- click on "Select ..."
- then select PATH and click OK
- then click "Edit.."
- you should insert the path to g++ at the beginning (I guess it is /opt/local/bin)

You can overwrite these global settings per project (if you like).

In Windows->Preferences->C/C++->Build->Settings open the "Discovery" tab
- select GCC-Builtin Compiler Settings (I think in your case it will be called GCC Mac or something linke this. I am not sure.)
- change the command line
${COMMAND} -E -P -v -dD "${INPUTS}"

to
${COMMAND} -std=c++11 -E -P -v -dD "${INPUTS}"

That's it. (Don't forget to select Mac GCC as your toolchain)

It should *not* be necessary to add any include paths manually. The automatic discovery will (should) do it.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1068004 is a reply to message #1068001] Thu, 11 July 2013 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I have done those two things already; see my previous posts where I describe this in detail.

For now, I have added '-D__cplusplus=201103L' to the built-in compiler discovery options. It's brute-force, but it does seem to help at least with the __cplusplus definition, which set itself to '1' for no reason (in one project).

I agree that I should not have to manually add include paths. See the part of the scanner discovery console log that I posted above. That should be sufficient for the indexer to "get it".
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1068097 is a reply to message #1068004] Fri, 12 July 2013 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For now, I have added '-D__cplusplus=201103L' to the built-in compiler discovery options.

How did you do this? The built-in compiler discovery symbols are read-only.

I have noticed that you set the preprocessor macro __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__, in addition. Perhaps there is a conflict when you set __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ and -std=c++11.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1068142 is a reply to message #1067982] Fri, 12 July 2013 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello Michael,

Quote:
I'm using GCC 4.8.1 on a Mac via MacPorts. Without manually changing the PATH variable in the global environment settings it will only recognise the Apple GCC compiler (an ancient 4.2.1, present by default on the system).

Quote:
Suddenly, in another project, the mouse-over over the __cplusplus definition tells me that it's recognized as '1'.

I only could guess, but maybe for unknown reasons CDT finds the old Compiler 4.2.1. And older compilers (up to 4.7) sets __cplusplus = 1.

I found this GCC Bugzilla entry about this issue:

http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1773

I'm not a Mac-User, but using Windows I always use a Batch-File to start Eclipse. I do this because than I simply can add the Path to the Compiler I want. For example the batch may look like this:

PATH=C:\MinGW32\bin;%PATH%
start eclipse.exe

This adds the path to my GCC-Compiler (C:\MinGW32\bin;) in front of the other search paths and therefore I'm sure that Eclipse/CDT finds this compiler version (and not a other older version which also could be in the search PATH).
The other advantage is, that I must not add the paths to the GCC-Headers manually within the CDT-Settings.

Hope this helps you to find out the problem...

regards,
klaus

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1068148 is a reply to message #1067976] Fri, 12 July 2013 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i forgot:

Quote:
With all this set up, the indexer *still* cannot deal with all my code.

Last year i made a brief list of bugzilla-entrys about missing C++ features in CDT/Indexer.
It's here:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/376496/

So do not expect, that the Indexer (and CODAN also i think) is fully able to handle C++11...

regards,
klaus

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1073664 is a reply to message #1068142] Thu, 25 July 2013 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess you run into the following bug:
Built-In Settings Provider ignores compiler command from build Settings
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=404912
Scanner discovery uses the old gcc installation.
In Windows->Preferences->C/C++->Build->Settings open the "Discovery" tab. Here you should change ${COMMAND} to /opt/local/bin/gcc (or whereever you have installed GCC 4.8.1).
(btw, use g++ für C++)

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1240601 is a reply to message #1073664] Thu, 06 February 2014 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl Kaess is currently offline Karl KaessFriend
I found that you can redefine __cplusplus by adding it to your CDT User Setting Entries (under C/C++ General->Preprocessor Includes...) and then rebuild your c/c++ index. It's a workaround, but it works the first time, every time.

Of course, this problem may be resolved in the above posts.
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1270792 is a reply to message #1067392] Thu, 13 March 2014 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thread Feuerstein is currently offline Thread FeuersteinFriend
Stumbled across the same problem. I've added "-std=c++11" to the discover command as described by Axel Mueller in post "Thu, 11 July 2013 11:37", but doesn't fix the problem.

I subsequently switched to "Project Properties->C/C++ General->Preprocessor Include Paths..->Providers tab. There, I had to enable "CDT GCC Build-in Compiler Settings [ Shared ]" (was disabled) and moved it to to top of this list. After clicking "Apply" _cplusplus has been updated and the indexer accepted most parts. Rebuilding the index fixed the remaining parts. It seems to work at the moment.

Details: Eclipse Kepler 4.3.2, CDT 8.3, CMake[2.8.12, CDT4 Makefile] Out-Of-Source Project, Manjaro 0.8.9, Hotspot JVM 7.0_51

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1419224 is a reply to message #1270792] Mon, 08 September 2014 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Amenel Voglozin is currently offline Amenel VoglozinFriend
As to me, setting -std=c++11 in the command line for the GCC compiler didn't change a thing. Thanks to hints in earlier posts that pointed me in that direction, I had to explicitly activate "CDT User Settings Entries" provider in project properties > C/C++ General > Preprocessor Include Paths > Providers. After that, on C/C++ Build > Settings > Tool Settings > GCC C++ Compiler > Preprocessor, I defined "__cplusplus=201103L" in "Defined symbols (-D)" and rebuilt the index.
Then, and only then, did the editor remove the greying in memory.h. Only then did it remove the error marker on unique_ptr.

I think the problem could also be with the compiler. The problem arose when I moved to Mingw-w64 (x86_64-4.9.1-win32-seh-rt_v3-rev0) a few days ago. Is there a command to execute in terminal/console that would list the macros that CDT gets from the compiler? (I mean all the entries that are contributed by the "CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings" provider) That way, I would confirm that the bad __cplusplus definition comes from the compiler. I've run the command to which Axel recommended to add -std=c++11 but the output doesn't help in that respect.

Thanks to all.
[EDIT] I wanted to understand where the problem comes from. Here's the experiment I ran and its results.

The command I was looking for is
g++ -E -P -v -std=c++11 -dD <your workspace>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.cdt.make.core\specs.cpp > options.txt

When I run it with -std=c++11, options.txt has
#define __cplusplus 201103L

When I run it without that argument, I get
#define __cplusplus 199711L

This means that the -std=c++11 argument is the solution to the problem of the wrong value of the macro.

Unfortunately, the "CDT Manged Build Settings Entries" has no configuration to which I can add the argument, at least none that I could find. I have tried everything I could think of (even deleting the .sc and .pdom files) but there's no way I can get the correct value (201103L) to __cplusplus in that set of entries: the value is and remains 199711L. This means that the provider doesn't care about the dialect configured in project properties > C++ > Build > Settings > Tool Settings > GCC C++ Compiler > Dialect.

This problem, in the instance I am facing, boils down to being able to configure the command that CDT Managed Build uses.

Anyway, it is possible to have the indexer see 201103L if the "CDT GCC Built-in" provider comes before CDT Managed. No need to define a user symbol.

[Updated on: Mon, 08 September 2014 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1727039 is a reply to message #1419224] Fri, 18 March 2016 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valery Seys is currently offline Valery SeysFriend
Update : for those that are using Luna w/o CDT internal builder + g++ or clang + -std=gnu++11 , a simple workaround :
[projectName] Preferences > C/C++ General > Preprocessor Include Path > Entries > [yourCompiler] + CDT User Settings Entries + Add ... :
- choose "Preprocessor Macro" with Name = __cplusplus and Value = 201103L
- then Apply : Indexer should rebuild its database and everything would be fine.
Attn : your "CDT User Settings Entries" appears at first place (the default)

Testing : include a C++ component that requires c++11 (eg <tuple> ) :
#if __cplusplus < 201103L

Hope it helps,

Regards,

--
Valéry Seys
Paris /\
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1740249 is a reply to message #1067392] Wed, 10 August 2016 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ken Roser is currently offline Ken RoserFriend
I'm finding that the process described above of using the CDT GCC Built-in Compiler Settings is not working in the Neon release if you start with a clean workspace, i.e., not one updated from Mars.

Even though I select "Allocate console in the Console View" , nothing happens. No output appears in the console, and the settings do not get updated.
Re: C++11 standard library indexing fails, __cplusplus recognized with wrong value [message #1740284 is a reply to message #1740249] Thu, 11 August 2016 08:20 Go to previous message
Jonah Graham is currently offline Jonah GrahamFriend
Hi Ken,

Thank you for identifying that. Can you raise a ticket on the bug tracker please? https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT

Jonah
Previous Topic:Problem Start Up
Next Topic:Cross compiling existing autotools project in CDT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:38:41 GMT 2024